CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › How to deprogram a true believer

How to deprogram a true believer

Bill P.
user 33784262
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Ted Patrick was a deprogrammer in Southern California during the Sixties. His nickname was Black Lighting, since he was a black man. He would kidnap young cult members, at the family's request, from cults like the Hare Krishna and the Moonies and take them to an isolated farm house. There, over the course of two weeks, Ted Patrick would deprogram the cult members so that they would renounce the cult and return to a normal life of attending school and having a girlfriend or a boyfriend.

The first thing Ted Patrick learned is that true believers have a programmed response to all the typical objections to belonging to a cult or a religion. To break through this, the trick is to ask them a question they have never heard before. They then have to think.

To deprogram a true believer, you got to make him or her to start to think. When you are a true believer, the cult or the religion does all the thinking for you. True believers are zombies in the sense they are not thinking, they are just repeating what they have been indoctrinated in.

For example, ask the true believer how many brothers did Jesus have. First, the fact that the bible says Jesus had brothers will throw him or her off balance. 90% of Christians don't know that Jesus had brothers. The answer is that no one knows how many brothers Jesus had. The bible doesn't say.

This present the true believer with a problem he or she has to solve. If all the answers are in the bible, how come the bible doesn't have an answer to this question? Then there is the problem of putting this new information into their world view. 'What were Jesus's brothers doing all the time Jesus was preaching? Why didn't they show up for his crucifixation?'

"When you deprogram people, you force them to think." Ted Patrick

Ted Patrick found that after about two weeks of deprogramming, all of a sudden they will snap. They wake up to a new view of the world. a paradigm shift, in other words. They will look back on what they use to believe and can't believe they believed all that crap.

What Ted Patrick has found out, after deprogramming close to a hundred cult members, is that young people join cults or religions for a reason. They feel there is something missing in their lives and find out, through their cult or religion, that "Jesus is the answer!"

When they realize that Jesus isn't the answer, they will then have to face life as it really is.

"A lot of time deprogramming is just a matter of telling someone to take life for what it is, not what it should be and not what you like it to be." -Black Lighting
Lane
user 69930862
Portland, OR
Post #: 5
Actually he was called "Black LIGHTNING" (although maybe he was good with a blacklight too). I wish I could feel confident that with just a couple of weeks of intelligent logical questions we could get through to the believers (and I know it was a cruciFIXion, not a crucifixation, but what a great amalgam that is! Fixated on the crucifixion!). Wouldn't most of them say simply (simpletons) that Christ felt ALL men were his "brothers"? I once had some success asking a Christian: If she believed God had a plan for everything, why would she pray for an outcome she wanted, potentially disrupting his road map, what hubris! I guess most of them pray simply to accept the plan and be worthy or some such crap. "God give me the strength to..." blah blah. Can someone please deprogram Obama so he doesn't have the gall to stand up and ask us/me to "pray"? How appalling!!! That's not his job or his business. We need Bob Kerrey, who is and was throughout his political career, a silent (cautious) agnostic.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,448
I wonder how much of that about Black Lightning was actually true, and how much was wishful thinking and/or self-promotion. It would mean much more if it was a testimonial for him from people who were actually helped by him.
Ryan S.
user 9323995
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 336

Members of fringe cults are potentially deprogrammable, I suspect, because its possible to pull them away from the perpetual reinforcement that gives absurd beliefs traction. But popular religion is infused into the larger culture. Politics and media give it mainstream credibility. Educated professionals and figures of authority regularly invoke its influence. I think you have to break this social monopoly first.
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,149
When you are a true believer, the cult or the religion does all the thinking for you. True believers are zombies in the sense they are not thinking, they are just repeating what they have been indoctrinated in.

That sounds like Jehovah's Witnesses in matters of religion. To a degree I was that way when I was one of them, but fortunately I was not entirely that way. If they hadn't made me a Ministerial Servant [deacon/minister] when I was 19, I might would have the courage to more fully think independently on religious matters at a much earlier age than I did. Being a Ministerial Servant (at the time) put me in a situation where I had more responsibilities (as a Witness) to preach and defend the Jehovah's Witnesses [aka Watchtower Society's] doctrines, hence it likely delayed me from unlearning many of their teachings. Those increased responsibles also took up a significant portion of my time.