CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › Gun control

Gun control

Ron
HotMetal
Portland, OR
Post #: 37
I am seriously thinking about starting a gun control meetup group or at least organizing a gun destruction party. As a welder, I have ways of destroying guns... any ideas??? SOMETHING MUST BE DONE TO STOP THE VIOLENCE!!!
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,449
RE: "SOMETHING MUST BE DONE TO STOP THE VIOLENCE!!!"

How about arming some of the teachers, and train and arm every school principal?
A former member
Post #: 6
I am seriously thinking about starting a gun control meetup group or at least organizing a gun destruction party. As a welder, I have ways of destroying guns... any ideas??? SOMETHING MUST BE DONE TO STOP THE VIOLENCE!!!

There are many many many people who could be put in a room with 10,000 guns and wouldn't fire one of them no matter the provocation. Mental illness is a major underlying issue here, and unfortunately I know of many mentally ill people who never got help until it became a "legal" matter. As long as they are law abiding, services are just not there for them.
If you saw the essay "I am Adam Lanza's mother" you know how horrifyingly challenging this problem is. There are lots of Adam Lanzas out there, percolating. And remember, Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun and his body count was much higher. Kaczynski used no gun. Mohamed Atta used no gun.

Frashour, of course, used guns...

It isn't "only" mental illness, of course. It has cultural underpinnings.

No one will put the gun genie back in the bottle in the U.S. We will have more, rather than fewer, guns, year by year. Gun sales skyrocketed in Portland last week! ;-0

Ron
HotMetal
Portland, OR
Post #: 38
I know that there are many causes why bad things happen with guns, but that is no reason to not do anything about the core of the gun problem... the gun itself! Take away the gun and there will not be a problem with guns. Guns make it too easy to be violent. Sure we need other remedies to the gun violence problem, it's going to take a multi faceted approach from all angles. We must make gun ownership a privilege, not a right... if someone really needs a gun, there should be a intensive certification process, yearly psych evaluations, a bonafide reason to have a gun and highly regulated... and then enforce them with severe penalties. It's also going to take a cultural solution, like making guns very un-cool, un-trendy, un-hip and attach a reputation of violence with them.

I want to weld guns into a big art sculpture of peace for public display. I have many plans, I must do something... I want to be part of the solution, apathy will only make the problem worse.
Ron
HotMetal
Portland, OR
Post #: 39
So you guys are not going to do anything about it? How many people must be killed before you are outraged? Maybe the bigger problem is apathy!
SylviaB
SylviaB
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 174
"You guys?" "[N]ot do anything about it?" You mean the members of this meetup group? Maybe they feel this would be mission creep for this particular organization, since they are here for different reasons than gun-control, and there are better channels for advocacy than a group organized around science, reason, and secularism. Maybe many of them already support gun control organizations and don't feel CFI has any particular competency in the matter, and that their efforts are better invested with the experts.

Or maybe, since a significant minority of our members are libertarians, many of them are leery about gun control. Maybe they are not comfortable with this business about "rights" vs. "privilege", aware that this is a constitutional issue and requires some care.

Or maybe people are heartened by Feinstein's plan to introduce gun legislation. Or by the fact one major retailer has taken assault weapons out of their offerings, and another seems to have quietly dropped them. Or maybe it's the new gun regulations in the city of Portland that makes people think things are moving in the right direction. Or maybe it's the fact that the NRA has been strangely quiet that suggests the tide may be turning. Or maybe it's that the White House gun control petition is shaping up to be the most popular one, yet.

Maybe it's that many people in this meetup are not comfortable going to an event where there will be a bunch of guns, even if is to destroy them.

Maybe they are not as apathetic as you think. Maybe they have signed the petition, for example. Maybe they prefer political action over guns and welding torches.

Just offering some alternative hypotheses than "apathy" :-)

And maybe, if you start a gun control meetup, especially if you make it about an art project, you will see droves of our members joining that meetup.

Give it a try. See what happens!
Ron
HotMetal
Portland, OR
Post #: 40
"you guys" was simply referring to those who replied before you (Sylvia) and those who truly are apathetic... not everyone in this group. Those are a lot of maybes, I am seeking clarity and action. Before I start a group, I must first do research to see if there would be a need/demand for such a group, or just join a group already established... or both. Either way, I feel compelled to do something about the gun control issue.
A former member
Post #: 3
The obvious first thing to do is fix the gun show exemption from gun registration That applies to online purchases, too, where there is no registration. We can't go into homes and search fo guns to then destroy by your welding technology.
My desired solution is simple: repeal the second amendment. Note I said "simple", which does not mean "easy". It's simple in concept, but will take long time to happen, if it ever does. Think about it: does the 2nd amendment offer more benefits than damage? In the meantime, I like the Australian approach. About 15 years ago, they had a big mass murder in which a military weapon was used. They-the government-then required all such weapons be turned in, and they paid for them. After that, it was illegal to posses those weapons. There hasn't been a similar crime since.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,454
RE: "The obvious first thing to do is fix the gun show exemption from gun registration That applies to online purchases, too, where there is no registration."

FYI, I bought a gun online. They ship it to a local merchant who receives it and does a background check (takes about 5 or 10 minutes). Online guns might have the best price here:
http://www.cheapertha...­

I think they are based in Texas and have some big warehouses.

In a few months I will be one of those in the public with a 'conceal and carry' permit.
A former member
Post #: 8
"You guys?" "[N]ot do anything about it?" You mean the members of this meetup group? Maybe they feel this would be mission creep for this particular organization, since they are here for different reasons than gun-control, and there are better channels for advocacy than a group organized around science, reason, and secularism. Maybe many of them already support gun control organizations and don't feel CFI has any particular competency in the matter, and that their efforts are better invested with the experts.

Or maybe, since a significant minority of our members are libertarians, many of them are leery about gun control. Maybe they are not comfortable with this business about "rights" vs. "privilege", aware that this is a constitutional issue and requires some care.

Or maybe people are heartened by Feinstein's plan to introduce gun legislation. Or by the fact one major retailer has taken assault weapons out of their offerings, and another seems to have quietly dropped them. Or maybe it's the new gun regulations in the city of Portland that makes people think things are moving in the right direction. Or maybe it's the fact that the NRA has been strangely quiet that suggests the tide may be turning. Or maybe it's that the White House gun control petition is shaping up to be the most popular one, yet.

Maybe it's that many people in this meetup are not comfortable going to an event where there will be a bunch of guns, even if is to destroy them.

Maybe they are not as apathetic as you think. Maybe they have signed the petition, for example. Maybe they prefer political action over guns and welding torches.

Just offering some alternative hypotheses than "apathy" :-)

And maybe, if you start a gun control meetup, especially if you make it about an art project, you will see droves of our members joining that meetup.

Give it a try. See what happens!

I concur, Sylvia; I don't see the correlation between CFI and gun control; I was careful to make my post about RELIGION and didn't veer off into politics (such as the fact that many consider "weeping for the children" Obama himself a murderer, oops, there I go)....there are meetup groups that would be good places for Ron's ideas and if tangents were encouraged here I would say that decriminalizing prostitution would obviate many of society's ills as well...

As always, Ms. Benner, your thoughts were cogent and applicable.