CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board In the News › Atheist in Oklahoma: What would YOU have said?

Atheist in Oklahoma: What would YOU have said?

A former member
Post #: 32
Ron
HotMetal
Portland, OR
Post #: 43
Oklahoma doesn't need your prayers. Prayer is one of the dumbest concepts in human history. If you are praying for the Oklahoma victims instead of actually doing something for them, you are a total asshole.
http://youtu.be/PYBTQ...­[url=http://youtu.be/PYBTQBGJWJ8][/url]
Bill D.
user 10884487
Portland, OR
Post #: 5
24 dead out of 30,000 made homeless is a very low death rate consider the scale of the weather event. (Not to minimize the loss of those people and the serious injuries no doubt to dozens of others.) That so many people came through it unscathed appears to be due to the majority of homes that incorporated tornado-proof bunkers into the house design, continual practice drills, and investment in warning systems and emergency services. It's clear that it is humans that are responsible for the massive saving of lives.
Likewise the needs of the survivors will be met by state services, federal government aid and support, insurance companies, and generous public donations. In essence a humanist response.
A former member
Post #: 34
[Maybe I should repost. I asked "What would you have said?" because I was very curious to know what the rationalists here felt about Blitzer's leading and inappropriate questions to that woman. How would you have responded to prayer/god/blessing questions in that circumstance? I certainly never intended to open a discussion about natural disasters in Oklahoma. How DO you atheists respond when someone presumes you are believers? I have only atheists in my family, and they have weighed in (though not purchased t-shirts) on how they might have responded to what Blitzer said (Ron: there are good places to post info about the ridiculousness of prayer, but you're definitely preaching to choirs here smile
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,181
How about, in response to Blitzer, "Do you mean do I thank Poseidon? I'm an atheist."
A former member
Post #: 35
How about, in response to Blitzer, "Do you mean do I thank Poseidon? I'm an atheist."

YES! Thank you, Gavin smile
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,182

YES! Thank you, Gavin smile

You are welcome. I am glad you like it.