CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board Announcements › New Poll about volume of e-mail messages

New Poll about volume of e-mail messages

SylviaB
SylviaB
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Dear CFI Portland Meetup Participants:

Some members have expressed a dislike for receiving discussion threads via e-mail and would prefer to go the Message Board to participate in discussions. I would like to know what the group's preferences are. Please let us know if you would like to limit discussions to the Message Board or if you would like to continue to receive discussion e-mails via the e-mail list.

SylviaB
Organizer

Lisa Brandt H.
user 6629992
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I didn't even see all of these discussions -- apparently, I have my communications preferences set to "organizers only."

As for me, I tend to forget about the existence of all of my online groups/forums/lists unless something comes to _me_ in my inbox. There are far too many of them, and I can't be bothered to go out and check all of them all the time.

I think a good option would be to continue the mailing list discussions, but instruct people to choose the "organizers only" or "daily digest" setting if they don't want to see eight million messages a day (understandable!). This way, everyone can individually choose what they want to do.
A former member
Post #: 3
I currently get the Daily Digest and try to skim it, with stops to read more when my interest is caught. Unfortunately, the Digest is difficult to use this way. There are three reasons:
1. Attachments to messages are not available... so often I can't see the thing that generates many follow-ups.
2. People leave long quote tails in their messages, making it painful to scroll down past them to the next message in the Digest (this has been noted repeatedly by others, but apparently those not reading Digests just don't get it or don't care).
3. Digests are not organized by threads (all messages on a related topic).

In my ideal world, I'd get a daily email with a Threads Digest. I don't know if this or something like it is possible with Meetup. It would work like this:
1. People would be good about their subject lines, so threads would be clearly established.
2. If a thread mentioned in the email interested me, I'd click a link and be taken a location on the web site.
3. At that location, I'd see that stage in the thread, and could scroll up and down in time through the thread (on one page, without clicking on next and previous!) Any attachment to a single post would be available with a click.
4. Also, adding another comment to the thread would be easy.

It's possible that we'd get close to that using the Discussion feature (which I'm using right here), and checking the box "Track this discussion."

If we go that route, we have to realize it's not as brainlessly easy as hitting Reply on an email. Be prepared to constantly "train" new arrivals and reinforce usage among regulars!
Kurt
kujo78
Happy Valley, OR
Post #: 49
Sometime this week, I'm going to write a little "How to use instruction page" since it sounds like people don't know about the different settings in meetup.com that allows them to control exactly the amount of email they want. We can make it a Sticky-Post in the bulletin board.

Maybe when we get a new member we can send them to this instruction page. Or, anytime in the future when someone complains about getting too much email, we can send them to this instruction page.
A former member
Post #: 14
I really like the instruction page idea and think we should do that.. Accommodation is critical to certain people coming back..
My question is though: Is the real issue here getting too much email as much as it is the content in the emails that make certain people blow the whistle on.. too much email?
Sue M.
suemarie2
Portland, OR
Post #: 37
Friends and bloggers,

This just occurred to me -- the potential for the use of the Message Board as a self-censoring device: by the time you've taken that extra few seconds to find the bookmark or "Favorites" button that takes you to this website, or to click on the RSS feed or on a link in an email announcing that you have a response to your previous post awaiting you at the Message Board, you might just think better of your first knee-jerk reaction to the interaction of the debate, and because the other folks will also have had a little more time to mull it over, the direction in which the thread had been careening may take a decidedly less aggressive, defensive, petulant, outraged or impatient course.

(No, I'm not making a sweeping generalization here about everyone who has been using the Mailing List -- you know who you are.)

Have you ever regretted hitting the send button? I must admit, it's really good theater when you don't pause first to think, "do I really want to put this out there? Does my post say what I meant?" This could avoid those embarrassing moments. (I've had them, too!)

The Message Board -- it could be a good thing.