It appears that we are ready to receive contributions for this. The idea is that people who have left a controlling religious culture (evangelical, mormon, 7th-day Adventist, Catholic, etc) could write out their stories, a "testimony" of de-conversion, and we would compile these stories on a web page (location to be decided). Sylvia got an enthusiastic thumbs-up from the national CFI organizers, and Darrel Ray (author of The God Virus, and national organizer of "Recovering from Religion" meetup) also has encouraged us to get going on this.
So, simply put, feel free to write out your story, as long as you wish, and submit to my email shown at the end here. Some of you are experienced or even professional writers, so I invite you to start writing. For others who may like some ideas to get started, I submit some questions which may help to kick-start your thoughts. These are NOT meant to be answered like bullet-points, but just to stimulate your thinking and writing:
1) When and how did you become a "believer"? (did personal circumstances contribute, was it family pressure, etc)
2) For how long, and how deeply involved?
3) What was the beginning of your exit journey? Was there an event, thought, book, etc that triggered this?
4) Was it a long, drawn out process, or quick and easy? What were your emotions and feelings as you realized what was happening? (Like the C.S. Lewis book "Surprised by Joy", but "Surprised by Doubt" instead!)
5) Did you have struggles with family and/or friends as you separated from their faith?
6) Have you had particular regrets upon leaving your faith behind (loss of community, certainty, etc)?
7) Have you had particular happiness or satisfaction leaving faith behind (freedom, lack of guilt, fear, etc)?
8) If you could repeat the experience, what would you change?
There are no rules and no deadlines. Most of us are pretty busy, but I found it very therapeutic to actually sit down and write out my experiences of the last 4 or 5 years. You'll probably find it hard to stop writing once you get going!
Look forward to your contributions. Send to: email@example.com