Chattanooga Developer Lunch Message Board › Need Developer for Access Data Migration

Need Developer for Access Data Migration

David W.
dmwhite
Chattanooga, TN
Post #: 3
I have a client that has a quite large Access database that needs to be migrated securely to Apricot CMS (http://www.communityt...­.

I'm guessing that it's going to be a pretty complicated migration. There's quite a few columns in what I believe is a single table in the Access database that need to be broken out into multiple tables to work with the new Apricot system.

Apricot does not have an API nor any direct access to the underlying database
They DO have an import/export "tool" (I think a "wizard" would be an overstatement)
Basically, you can import and export data in CSV format.
You'd need to download the CSV table structure from Apricot, then take the Access data and import it into those CSV files, and then import those (now populated) CSV files. Also, you'll be exporting data from a single Access table into multiple CSV tables. You'll also be working with a bunch of records that share near-identical data that currently doesn't have much in the way of primary keys or anything. Basically, it sounds like a pain!

That said, the table / CSV structure in the Apricot system is customizable. The client has done some legwork in terms of setting up the structure in Apricot to how they want the data to work, BUT you'd be able to access that too, and advise the client in terms of structuring the data in Apricot.

If you think you can handle this, shoot me an email at david [at] developcents dot com.

Thanks,
David