Chapel Hill/Durham Book Club Message Board › Book Suggestions for October - Dead Authors

Book Suggestions for October - Dead Authors

A former member
Post #: 131
Please use this thread to suggest books for October. The only requirement for the book is that the author must be deceased. When you suggest a book, please include a link to more information or a review, such as Wikipedia, Amazon, or the NY Times Book Review. Anyone in the book club can suggest a book, we'll vote at August's meeting.
A former member
Post #: 17
My suggestion is A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute (a British novelist, 1899-1960). I’ve read two of his other books and loved them, but never gotten to this one, which many say is his best.

The book portrays a community and how it deals with the changes due to world conflicts. In the post World War II aftermath, Jean Paget was quite anxious to escape from Malaysia back to England, never thinking she would ever again see this place that held the multitude of horrible memories she now possessed. When she inherited a legacy, that all transfigured and she decided to thank the small village that took her and the other women in by digging them a well in the village's center. Little did she know at the time, but she would never return back to her home in England. In A Town Like Alice, Shute allows a woman to be the eagle-eye entrepreneur to renovate a small one-horse town in the outback. In a time period when women were viewed as homemakers and mothers, Shute uses the strong will of a determined and competent female to develop a town that may have otherwise eventually dried up like the swollen creek of the wet season in an Australian dry spell. Nevil Shute's sharply perceptive understanding of Human emotions is pure genius.

Here is a link to the Amazon page: www.amazon.com/Town-Like-Alice-Nevil-Shu­te/dp/0848808487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&­qid=1346053095&sr=8-1&keywords=a­+town+like+alice
A former member
Post #: 1
I always recommend The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (1895 – 1972). Some folks might remember the movie with Alan Bates and Julie Christie.

Ann Brashares of NPR’s All Things Considered said of the book: “The first time I read it, it cleared a haunting little spot in my memory, sort of like an embassy to my own foreign country…. I don't want to spoil the suspense of a well-made plot, because you must read this, but let's just say it goes really badly and the messenger (shockingly) gets blamed. Or he blames himself anyway. And here the mirror cracks; the boy who leaves Brandham is not the one who came. Indeed the narrator converses with his old self as though he were two people. That was the powerful gonging left by my first read: What, if anything, bundles us through time into a single person?”

Here is a link to the amazon page:http://www.amazon.com...­