The Chicago Sci-Fi/Fantasy Meetup Group Message Board Talk about Sci-Fi and Fantasy › Tell me about Capricon

Tell me about Capricon

Brian P.
user 74508642
Woodstock, IL
Post #: 1
I'm a legendary Gen Con guy and have gone to WindyCon the last two years. So tell me about Capricon, why should I consider going?
Leane
lverhulst
Group Organizer
Brookfield, IL
Post #: 58
Capricon is similar in style to Windycon as it's a non-profit, all volunteer run, general interest science fiction convention with a focus on literature. Attendance runs in the 900 to 1000 person range. It's a 4 day convention - Thursday (about 3pm start) to Sunday (about 4pm end). There are lots of interesting panels and presentations during the day and evening that range in topics from SF literature to SF shows to science programming to writing panels to art panels to whatever. (I can point you to last year's schedule - this year's schedule is still being worked on.) There's a dealers room, an art show, a game room, an anime room, filk (music) concerts, kids programming, fun special events (like a dance and karaoke) and lots of parties at night.

Personally, you should know that I am biased as I love Capricon and am one of the many volunteers that help run the convention. I even ran it one year. 2008 - the theme was Pirates! That was fun!

Oh, since you're a GenCon guy, you should know that Capricon is holding a Settlers of Catan tournament (in conjunction with MayFair Games). Winner of the tournament will get a trip to GenCon 2013 to compete in the Catan North American Championship. More details here: http://capricon.org/capricon33/other/catan/­
Brian P.
user 74508642
Woodstock, IL
Post #: 2
I like karaoke. What night will that be? Is there a Con Suite like Windycon? What's it like?
Places to eat near by? Should I bring food? If I attend I will probably stay on Fri & Sat nights.
Leane
lverhulst
Group Organizer
Brookfield, IL
Post #: 59
Karaoke: I believe that karaoke will be Friday night with the dance on Saturday night.
Consuite: Yes, there is a consuite like Windycon - it is ok. Plenty of soda and water and there are always some kind of snack foods out.
Places to eat: Within walking distance, there's 3 restaurants in the building, one outside in the parking lot, and a couple across the street. If you're looking for fast food places like McDonalds, you'll have to drive a little bit. The parties at night will also have snack food available to attendees.
Bringing food: Personally, I bring snack bars with me in case I want something quick and I don't have time to go get something, but that's because I work the event.