The Chicago Scuba Meetup Group Message Board CSM Official Announcements › Your CSM -- Sustaining Membership

Your CSM -- Sustaining Membership

Abhishek
user 3760156
Evanston, IL
Post #: 52
[Originally sent on 07.09.2008 by Dean Nolan; adapted by Abhishek K Agarwal]

Keeping your CSM sustainable
As anyone who came to our last meeting knows, one of my biggest concerns for CSM­ is that we become sustainable. As with all groups, we have expenses (e.g., website and monthly meeting fees) that we can't avoid, and expenses we would like to have to help keep the group growing and to make the group more enjoyable. From day one, our organization has been free. This has been to encourage growth and to give people a chance to check us out, risk free, to see if we have anything to offer them.

What CSM has to offer to you
I think we have had plenty to offer our members. Check out our calendar­. Most weekends are full with events we sponsor or promote. Our meetings have given people a chance to meet each other and learn about our dive experiences, as well as to hear speakers, such as Cris Kohl and Joan Forsberg, Lynn Funkhouser, and Dan Kasberger. The message board on our web site has given people an opportunity to exchange thoughts and meet dive buddies. Yes, I think we have plenty to offer.

Problems with the current method of keeping your CSM sustainable
How do we pay for this? A number of methods have been tried, but for the most part, somebody fronts the money with the hope of being reimbursed. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't. The bottom line is that there is never money left over for other things such as paying for our website, banner(s) to mark our location at events, providing dinners to our monthly guest speakers, awarding prizes for annual photo contests, etc. As a result of this, we have started "passing the hat" at meetings and other events we have.

Proposed solution to keep your CSM sustainable
There is another way. We are offering our members an opportunity to support Chicago Scuba Meetup by becoming a yearly "Sustaining Member." For only $20 per annual year, you can ignore the "hat" and skip the event fees while supporting CSM. You will also get first preference for certain CSM events. We will consider all sustaining memberships due at the first of the year to keep things simple. $20 is small and affordable. Many of us join other organizations and pay much more, and sometimes we get nothing out of those groups but a newsletter. So please, consider a sustaining membership. Fees can be paid to our Treasurer, Beth Plotner, by one of three options.

Please include your full name, e-mail address, and your user account number on CSM so we credit you properly.

1. Give full membership fee at a CSM event
2. Contribute by Paypal
Please add $1 to cover PayPal expenses for a total of $21. The Paypal e-mail address is: payments@chicagoscubameetup.org
3. Mail a personal check or e-check payable to "Chicago Scuba Meetup" and mailed c/o
Beth Plotner
3550A N. Pine Grove Ave.
Chicago, IL 60657

This is a great way to support CSM and I hope you will consider. Whatever you decide, The Chicago Scuba Meetup will continue to offer all kinds of dive opportunities and activities!
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello there,

We'd like to consider being a sponsor for your group.

Can you send me an email to dave@indianvalleyscuba.com

Thanks
A former member
Post #: 5
I tried going to the paypal account and it said there was a syntax error. Do I just need to try again later? I tried copying and pasting as is, tried adding a www, and tried adding http://.... Thoughts?
Eric Vaandering
vondo
Aurora, IL
Post #: 25
I tried going to the paypal account and it said there was a syntax error. Do I just need to try again later? I tried copying and pasting as is, tried adding a www, and tried adding http://.... Thoughts?

Angela, I think you need to go to http://www.paypal.com...­ and then put in the e-mail address payments@chicagoscubameetup.org as your destination for payments.

Cheers,

Eric
Amanda Cohen
chicagofish
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Yup, I went to Paypal and used that address...no problems!
Marc Morale
ScubaMonk
New Lenox, IL
Post #: 5
I'm being old fashioned and using snail mail... Keep an eye out for it, eh? :)
Jonathan
Jonathanb565
Schaumburg, IL
Post #: 7
Just posted payment via paypal to the email address. Where should I send the transaction number details?
thanks
Jonathan Berens
Emily
emanderniepug
Chicago, IL
Post #: 4
I sent in a payment and Paypal tells me I made a payment to Abhishek Agarwal. Is that right? Can you please let me know if you don't receive it?

Thanks!
Emily
Frank Nimesheim
user 38537102
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
I also sent in my dues a couple if months ago and still have not received my "status".
Dean Nolan
Dean810
Group Organizer
Lincolnwood, IL
Post #: 426
I also sent in my dues a couple if months ago and still have not received my "status".

Hello Frank, I will check this out. Did you send it through Paypal? I will update your status.

-Dean