align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Chicago Web Professionals Meetup Group Message Board › IE9 and Windows7

IE9 and Windows7

Steve S.
Steve_Starr
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 146
I'm not a PC person... use Chrome, Firefox and Safari on my Mac to check my front end code. I also run Parallels so I can run Windows in emulation on my Mac. I run Windows7 and IE9. Oddly, there are some html5 tags I thought IE9 supported (like "<aside>, <section>, <footer>, etc.) but they are not behaving. I replaced them all with div tags and they work fine... but I'm surprised.

You PC folks... Is it the operating system in conjunction with IE9 that's not allowing me to see html5 tags at work?

Any thoughts?

Steve Starr
Becky D.
beckydavisdesign
Chicago, IL
Post #: 72
Hey Steve,

IE 9 is certainly better than it's predecessors, but as usual MS fell way short of the mark again. The one thing that can make a huge difference is the addition of the Modernizer js script. It's baked into my WordPress child themes, so I have taken it for granted that all of these HTML5 elements work in IE for a while. You can download the script at http://modernizr.com/...­ and there are instructions there as well. But it's basically like any other piece of javascript. You need to have the (minified) script in a folder on your site and then a link to it in your site header. It helps tremendously with IE 8 as well.

Hope that helps!
Becky
Steve S.
Steve_Starr
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 147
Many thanks, Becky. I'll keep modernizer in my back pocket. :-)