addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Web Professionals Meetup Group Message Board › WHATS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN DREAMWEAVER?

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN DREAMWEAVER?

A former member
Post #: 132
Hi there everyone. My name is Dave and I am trying to learn Dreamweaver as well as other important skillsets for web design. I am wondering if anyone knows the best way to learn? This question is coming from a person who has wasted time and lots of money on Frontpage, photoshop, and Netobjects Fusion classes at community colleges. I bought an old Macromedia Dreamweaver/Flash/Fireworks CD but it turned out to be corrupted and hacked. I dont think I should even learn on the old iteration considering we are now up to CS3 (and for all I know, CS4 is just around the corner). So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D
Dennis D.
deconspray
Vernon Hills, IL
Post #: 21
Hey KISSME123,

First, I think new web designers needs to think in 2-3 tracks:

• Web Design
  • Coding (HTML & CSS)
  • The Tools (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, etc.)

Web Design
Having a sense of design, a graphic design background or at least at a high level is helpful. When faced with a blank palette and a problem to solve, it's helpful to have some background in layout, color, typography, etc. It's also helpful to understand standard web design patterns. Try the Web Style Guide for a good primer. Remember, anyone can design a web page. You, however, want to learn to create an effective web page/site.

Coding HTML & CSS
I don't care what authoring tool (FrontPage, MS Expressions, Dreamweaver) you use, it helps to know what's going on underneath the WYSIWYG interface. I use Dreamweaver, yet hand code at least 60% of the time. It's just the way I learned (Notepad & IE) and where I'm most comfortable. HTML/XHTML is easy to learn. CSS is slightly more complex, but can be mastered if diligent.

The Tools (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, etc.)
Of course, it helps to have access to these tools. Regarding whether CS3 or CS4, it's depends on your budget and which tools you plan to use most. Dreamweaver received only slight upgrades. Photoshop is improved, but the upgrade can be skipped. Flash is likely a program you'll always want the latest due to the nature of the beast. I'm on CS3 and plan to stay there for at least the next few versions.

Learning how to use & master these tools depends on how you best learn. Some people can pick up a book, read and practice what they read. Others can take online training (see lynda.com for monthly, all-you-can intake, subscription-based training). However, once it is said & done, after you learn something, you must practice, practice, practice (like making it to Carnegie Hall). Create your own personal site, using what you've learned. Create dummy client sites. Look at other sites, view source, and learn from what others have done.

On a related note, we're considering starting a mentoring series within the Dreamweaver Meetup. If interested, holler.

Hope this helps get you started. Hope to see you at an upcoming Dreamweaver Meetup.
A former member
Post #: 1
The BEST way is to use some Video Tutorials! In the video tutorials they will show you everything and exactly how you should do it! Step-by-step! I have learned PHP, MYSQL, HTML, DREAMWEAVER, ADOBE FLASH AND ADOBE PHOTOSHOP with the help of the Video Tutorials of world-shopping.org. Here is a link to the Dreamweavers Full Tutorial course:
http://world-shopping...­

Good Luck To All!
Steve S.
Steve_Starr
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 133
Just a side note... Dreamweaver is up to CS5.5 which is even a price upgrade from CS5! If you are using it for coding only, it's not substantially different from CS4. Adobe has a way of keeping it's users on the hamster wheel ;-).