This group is for Chicago Area Freelancers (be it developers, designers, copywriters, photographers, lawyers, plumbers, whatever). We are all makes and models who get together and have a drink, discuss our work, share tips and techniques, and find full time and contract work opportunities.
We invite group members to submit ideas to talk about. Bring a laptop or a tablet, a sketchpad or an etch-a-sketch. We don't care.
We have just a few simple rules:
1) (Starting in 2014) We charge a bar minimum for meetups so that we ensure quality attendance (Really, it's just somewhere between $1-3).
2) It's social, so we expect people to talk. We shouldn't have to remind folks, but if there's a speaker, please have common decency and do not disturb others.
Here's some more resources for our group that keep coming up:
1) Breaking the time barrier. It's a great read and helps people realize how to get beyond just thinking about our skill set as an hourly committment, but thinking about value add: https://breakingthetimebarrier.freshbooks.c...
2) Freelancer's Bible is a great resource for anyone striking out on their own: http://www.amazon.com/The-Freelancers-Bible...
3) Freelancer's Guild (I couldn't find a URL but googling for it brings a bunch of results up).
4) The SBA. It's here to help us. Let's help them help us: http://www.sba.gov/offices/district/il/chic...
Welcome and enjoy!
I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.
— Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders