Discuss Chicago Dev!
Jul 22, 2014
by JP B. at 1:57 PM
Help support your MeetupChip in
This group is for Chicago Area Freelancers (be it developers, designers, copywriters, photographers, lawyers, plumbers, whatever). We are all makes and models who get together and have a drink, discuss our work, share tips and techniques, and find full time and contract work opportunities.
We invite group members to submit ideas to talk about. Bring a laptop or a tablet, a sketchpad or an etch-a-sketch. We don't care.
We have just a few simple rules:
1) (Starting in 2014) We charge a bar minimum for meetups so that we ensure quality attendance (Really, it's just somewhere between $1-3).
2) It's social, so we expect people to talk. We shouldn't have to remind folks, but if there's a speaker, please have common decency and do not disturb others.
Here's some more resources for our group that keep coming up:
1) Breaking the time barrier. It's a great read and helps people realize how to get beyond just thinking about our skill set as an hourly committment, but thinking about value add: https://breakingthetimebarrier.freshbooks.c...
2) Freelancer's Bible is a great resource for anyone striking out on their own: http://www.amazon.com/The-Freelancers-Bible...
3) Freelancer's Guild (I couldn't find a URL but googling for it brings a bunch of results up).
4) The SBA. It's here to help us. Let's help them help us: http://www.sba.gov/offices/district/il/chic...
Welcome and enjoy!
Sponsoring our May meetup.
Buying us alcohol to remind us why we love what we do!
Giving us the ability to consume more alcohol and talk shop
Making sure your beer stays full and you broaden your network.
Buying the beer, maybe giving away something?
Booze and Food!