Ground Floor Inventor's Club of Chicago Message Board › Greetings And Good News
|A former member||
Good day my fellow inventors, tinkerers, makers and explorers of all things!
For those of you who do not know me my name is Hank K., posting under the Meet-up Group pseudonym ‘Mark W.’ just to make things more confusing than they already are! John Lund, the group organizer, has graciously bestowed upon me the title of Assistant Organizer. With this I'll be spearheading several exciting initiatives for the group.
So let's get to it...
1. The message board is now up and running! So, when that great, yet incomplete idea pops into your head at three in the morning and you don't know where to turn to for an answer, prompt, suggestion or argument, try posting it and see if someone in the group can help you!
Please remember that you are talking in a public forum. If you have the need, or wish to conceal the nature of your invention or idea, be careful what you discuss here. You might find it necessary to obfuscate or slightly misdirect your question in order to maintain intellectual privacy. Keeping the latter in mind please understand that the more you can describe your issue the more targeted a potentially supportive reply can be.
A few thoughts for some topics to get us started:
- Links to news articles pertaining to inventors, invention and innovation, tools and technology
- Got a favorite relevant website that you want to share? Post it!
- Want to discuss a completely ridiculous idea you have no intentions of bringing to fruition yet are very curious about anyway? It goes here!
- Found a neat tool, gizmo or doodad that'll help out your fellow inventor? Share the link with us!
A word about [gasp!] advertising. I know several of the group's members provide pay-to-use support services for inventors. If you want to run a simple text-only one-paragraph entry you may do so on a one-time basis. Eventually the message board will have folders and one will be dedicated strictly for advertising. At that time I will transfer all ads into that folder. I will be personally moderating the board and have little patience for nefarious hoo-haa. If you spam the board your messages will be immediately removed and you receive one warning. After that you're gone. You've been warned...
Item last concerning the message board: We are all big kids here so we don't need to have ‘that’ discussion about etiquette, politeness, and manners...do we?
2. Be sure to check out the calendar! There's a lot of stuff now populating the grid starting with our normal meetings the third Wednesday of each month. You'll also find interesting trade shows, conferences and art/craft shows you can draw inspiration from and network at. A cursory glance of the calendar shows that there are tongue-in-cheek messages distributed throughout. Think of it as an “Inventor’s Advent Calendar”...no fair peeking ahead of the current day! Now you have a reason to come back and visit the site every single day of the month! If you know of an local event, conference or convention, historical event or anything else important please e-mail me at iltrng@Hotmail.com and I'll make sure to get it posted. Please be sure to include the who, what, when, where, and why as well as any admissions costs, websites and other pertinent information so it can be posted in a useful manner.
3. Be sure to monitor the “Files” link on the left-hand side of your screen when you're at the group site. Here you can post documents, spreadsheets, photos and files that you feel the group might find interesting. All group members may post here. Again I'll be moderating this particular aspect of the website. Please, no personal advertising in this section.
4. I just found out TODAY that Argonne National Labs is having an open house TOMORROW, Saturday, August 29, 2009. The website for this can be found at http://www.anl.gov/Co... Go visit the highest of high-tech! Some of their engineers put on a spectacular demonstration of cryogenics at the Museum Of Science And Industry during Chicago Science Week last year! Let's put it this way, I never knew a water filled two liter soda bottle could be launched clear over the museum’s main dome and into it’s backyard simply with a cup of liquid nitrogen!
5. If you have questions, comments, concerns or suggestions please feel free to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ground Floor Inventor's Meet-up of Chicago
|John I. Lund||
Inventors! Lend your support to Mark W, my new co-organizer! He's got great ideas! JIL
So, Hank K. has left us and I signed up to be the new assistant organizer and I'll try to keep up the good work Hank started. The only change so far has been moving the "tongue in cheek" notes from the calender to a file named Dec-tongue in cheek which is posted under the files section.
A request I do have is that if you RSVP that you will attend, please do so, it only shows proper respect to the other members.
On a totally different note, check out the following:
To mark the 40th anniversary of the Internet, DARPA has announced the DARPA Network Challenge, a competition that will explore the roles the Internet and social networking play in the timely communication, wide-area team-building, and urgent mobilization required to solve broad-scope, time-critical problems.
The challenge is to be the first to submit the locations of 10 moored, 8-foot, red, weather balloons at 10 fixed locations in the continental United States. The balloons will be in readily accessible locations and visible from nearby roads.
Any one up to the challenge? You might win $40,000: http://networkchallen...
Any questions, comments please feel free to email me.
Ground Floor Inventor's Meet-up of Chicago