addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Chicagoland Fiat & Lancia Unlimited Message Board Events › Annual Club Picture is May 18th

Annual Club Picture is May 18th

Tom B.
user 6030288
Naperville, IL
Post #: 724
We need a great location for this year's annual club photo. Ideally someplace that will hold 20-30 vehicles... with a great backdrop and room for a tall ladder...
Also need to consider where the sunlight will be coming from early in the morning (typically, the East).

Any ideas?
Terry Q.
user 27937802
Chicago, IL
Post #: 15
Hi Tom,

Was thinking of my alma mater, Lewis University in Romeoville. -Lewis has an airport (KLOT, LOT) with large aprons, hangers, some static aircraft displays (used to have a DC-3 but now I believe a 727), this part of the University is a aviation technical school---I could contact the Alumni Association and see if this would be permitted and if any space would be open to the public (even these places have Homeland Security rules) and if they say it is a possibility, could check out the location (The campus is on Route 53) and really not far from our last photo shoot in Joliet...Let me know if you want me to pursue this.

Also, was thinking if any of the club members have some locations in some picturesque towns such as St. Charles / Geneva, Elgin, etc---I was thinking of Oak Park (due to the Wright homes and studios but afraid no parking or venue is suitable)....

Lee P.
Streamwood, IL
Post #: 2,788
What about this place?

The Farnsworth House, built by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in 1951 and located near Plano, Illinois, is one of the most famous examples of modernist domestic architecture and was considered unprecedented in its day.

Events at the Farnsworth House can only take place from April to October. Please keep in
mind that the Farnsworth House is an outdoor facility and subject to weather conditions.

The most current rates and policies can be obtained by contacting the Farnsworth House special events coordinator at (630) 552-0052.

Bob G.
user 6166482
Sandwich, IL
Post #: 395
This is right across the water from Silver Springs where we took the fall color cruise picture. I can't believe they would let the cars anywhere near the actual house since it is close to the water and the parking lot is a fair distance away. Although the house was probably cutting edge in it's day, not all the spectacular in todays terms.
Dacia H.
Glenview, IL
Post #: 180
I really loved Lee's original, if perhaps not quite legal, spot by the planetarium or the museums downtown.
I thought they were terrific spots. While we were at the autoshow last weekend, we took time coming back, and I noticed that the sidewalk by Buckingham Fountain is really nice and wide :) it would be pretty cool to have a bunch of cars line up there with the fountain and lake as a backdrop. We'd need to get there early, and do it fast, to avoid trouble with local enforcement. Does anybody know anybody at the city to ask for permission? The Mayor should love to have such gorgeous pictures of his city.
Tom B.
user 6030288
Naperville, IL
Post #: 725
Here are some suggestions that Doug Clark sent me direct to add to the discussion....

What about:

- Arlington Park? (Not sure from their web site if they have racing that day; if so, we might not be able to have it there)

- The United Center - say, with MJ's statue in the background? (Sometimes the security at the UC can be a little "unfriendly", though. The calendar doesn't show any events - and even if the Bulls and/or the Hawks are in the playoffs, such a game might not start until that evening)

- The Morton Arboretum? (They open at 10:00 - but we could pick an area in advance, esp. with a lot of flowering bushes & trees in bloom, and then after our picture , have a picnic brunch, in lieu of the normal summer Club picnic. Granted, the weather isn't likely to be as warm, There would be an admission charge - $10 or so?)

- The parking lot of a well-known Italian restaurant or banquet hall? (Nothing comes to mind immediately)

- The Midway Pleasance (sp.?) by the Rockefeller Chapel at the Univ. of Chicago?

1980 Spider 2000
Michael L.
Anamosa, IA
Post #: 2,031
I was scanning thru Google Maps with the satellite photo turned on and thought it would be cool to get permission to enter the GIANT Rock Quarry that 80/294 goes over right west of the Lincoln oasis. The while looking at the rock quarry, I noticed the rail yard a little further west, then I realized that is the Canadian National yard where my brother works. I thought the cars lined up in front of all the trains or even near stacks of the shipping containers that are multicolored would look cool with the multicolored cars. Either one would take some smooth talking to get permission. Not sure that shows "Chicago" but could be cool pictures.
Tim N.
user 6475752
Oswego, IL
Post #: 160
How about at a Fiat dealer?
Lee P.
Streamwood, IL
Post #: 2,789
Downtown at Roosevelt & Canal is a Whole Foods parking garage that has a great Chicago skyline for pictures. Parking garage is not free, not sure of the hours of operation....but it's not illegal, either!
Lee P.
Streamwood, IL
Post #: 2,790