A permablitz is an informal gathering involving a day on which a group of people come together to create or add to edible gardens, share skills related to permaculture, build community and have fun! Anyone and everyone can come to a permablitz. Skill level and even physical capacity aren’t problems at all. We especially welcome budding permaculturists or gardeners. Just come and contribute any way you are able.
Come out to the farm and help us begin the installation of the FIRST edible forest garden in Naperville! The design covers a 135′ x 40′ existing tree line behind the Clow Education Center on McDonald Farm. It includes swales, berms, hugelkultur, rain gardens, mandala garden, metal igloos and arbors, stone and wooden bridges, and a lot of planting!
This will be a day of learning, working, eating, community building, and fun. Food, water and iced tea will be prepared by us, but we welcome others to bring something to share.
On this day we will:
• learn how to take locations on a paper design and mark them in reality
• mark out the locations of the swales, berms, rain gardens and hugelkultur beds
• dig swales and use a “lake in a tube” to make sure it is level • build berms alongside the swales
• dig and shape the rain gardens and spill ways
• learn how to build a hugelkultur bed
• using tools mark out the location of all of the trees
• dig tree holes
What to bring:
-wear good shoes for digging
-wheelbarrow (if possible)
-plate, cup, utensils and napkin
If you can’t come for the entire time, then come when you can. No help will be refused.