addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Pugs Message Board Pug Issues › Pug tail is uncurled - is this a problem ??

Pug tail is uncurled - is this a problem ??

marybeth
user 6145022
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 1
Hello everyone - I wanted to ask the pug world if anyone has had this experience.......I have a 6 1/2 year old male pug and in the past few weeks he has started to walk around with his tail uncurled from time to time.

He is his usual happy self, I have felt around his back, his tail and his spine and he doesn't react at all as if he is in pain. I have also picked him up to see if he reacts - no problem there either.

In the past, his tail would uncurl when he was laying down and relaxed but never when he is walking around. And as I said this only happens sometimes.

I have read that this is a sign that there is a health problem so I wanted to see if anyone has feedback for me ?

Also, does anyone know of a vet that has alot of experience with pugs in the Chicago area ?

If anyone could provide me with information I would greatly appreciate it.

Marybeth
KathyD
user 4854093
Taylorville, IL
Post #: 10
Hi Marybeth!

Ok, I've gotta admit, my first answer was going to be that he needs to be "wound back up", but that's just too easy! tongue
My Pugsley is 2 1/2 years old and I notice his tail uncurling at certain times too: usually when he's concentrating on something such as eating or chewing on a toy, etc and always when he sleeps or seems sleepy. I have noticed it when he walks occasionally too and I think it's really just a relaxed state. The only other thing I could think of would be if your puggy was depressed (mine knows when the suitcases are out, his people are going away and he gets very down in the dumps). If he is otherwise acting healthy, I wouldn't think much of it. Keep an eye on him and see if you notice any other symptoms of illness. If a pug is not feeling well, he might have trouble concentrating on keeping his tail curled or just not have the energy to do it. Is he eating ok? That's often the first sign something is "off" with a pug when they dont' have an appetite. If you want to be super cautious, you can always take him to a vet and have a basic exam done, to check for a fever. I check my pets at home for their temp. using an ear scan thermometer that I used to use for my kids. I told the vet that once and he told me to bring it in and he'd check the accuracy of it next time he did a rectal temp on my dog. It was very, very close, when done properly. So now the vet uses one himself on animals he has a hard time getting a rectal temp on!
I don't know any Chicago area vets, I actually live mid-state near the capital Springfield. Good luck to you!
Laura
yiyi30
Chicago, IL
Post #: 859
I don't think that its the sign of any specific heath problem unfortunately. Grant's trail will uncurl when he is sick-- I use it as a confirmation to take him to the vet (i.e. he has other symptoms). However, it will also uncurl when he is laying down or if he is scared.

You seem to be doing the right thing-- keeping an eye on him. If you are nervous-- bring him in for a checkup and fecal test and blood work.

If you are in Lincoln Park-- Grant goes to Blum-- a vet & a vet tech there each own pugs. Grant also sees Dr. Hoyle at VCA on Chicago Ave. and he is the vet for a few more pugs on this board.
I have heard great things about Family Pet? on Webster & Clyborn in Lincoln Park but your timing needs to be right because they often are not accepting new patients.
Judith B.
user 4069609
Schererville, IN
Post #: 2
I just adopted two new Pugs.... and they both have issues. I also have a 4 1/2 y/o. The other new Pug and my original Pug always have their tails 'UP'.... the tails relax when at sleep. The third, Winnie, most of the time her tail is hanging straight down. I have had them about two mos. now and they know they are loved and welcome.

We are having housebreaking issues. Winnie is 1 & 3/4 y/o. I was told she was housebroken, but not. So, that issue prevails. Her tail, however, springs up into the normal curl when.... playing with the other pugs, romping, sometimes when eating, always when I leash her and take her outside for potty.... it seems to curl when she is engaged in some activity that she is enjoying. Otherwise, hanging straight down. It bothers me so much that I often will take her tail in my hand and place it into the curl, and stroke it and tell her how pretty it is, and coo and praise, etc., and after about a minute or two of that interaction, up comes the tail, and it says there for quite a while. But, in a while, when the attention from me is no longer her focus, I see the tail drop down again.

She was just at the vet a week ago, had all her tests, etc. The vet thinks she may be compromised neurologicaly because of what the breeder referred to as a "hackney gait". Her front legs really don't look like a hackney gait which would be similar to a trotting motion, but rather, it resembles a goose step (military marching style). She, as a result, is very unstable on her feet, falls a lot, and when she does the "doggy shake", her front legs do the split and down she goes.

So, are the two issues connected? Don't have a clue. But it does break my heart to see that beautiful tail hanging straight down... because, when it is up and curled, it is one of the fullest and prettiest pug tails I have ever seen. I keep telling her to be proud and beautiful and proudly hold that tail up and continually stroke that tail..... but, it just doesn't last. Makes me feel bad.