The Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board Chicken Problems and Illnesses › sick chicken, wondering if she can be saved

sick chicken, wondering if she can be saved

Solveig C.
ChrisAndSolveig
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 10
Hi, everyone,
We have a 3 month old chicken who looks very sick this morning - one side of her face is bare, her eye is gone or sunken, her mouth is open. She is eating and drinking but is unsteady on her feet. Our smaller chick was dead in the coop 2 days ago. Can we do anything to save this one? We can't find a vet willing to see chickens. We're also worried about the rest of the flock - everyone looks fine but I'm starting to wonder if this is infectious and we might lose them all.
Jason M.
user 13185677
Conyers, GA
Post #: 49
There are many things that cause facial swelling, usually they are respiratory issues. Is there a runny nose, drainage/foam from the eye, is there any odor? Fist thing ti do is to isolate any that are showing symptoms to avoid spreading. If it is a respiratory/sinus issue I would medicate with Tylan (tylosin), it seems to work best on respiratory issues. Tylan comes in a water soluable powder, tylan 40 that can be add to feed, and or Tylan 50 injectable. There is also a tylan 200 injectable but do not use it on chickens. The injectable form can be given oraly instead of being injected, draw out proper dosage and drip it into their beak. The injectable often works better because when birds are sick often they do not eat or drink as much which means that if the medicatiopn is in their feed or water they will not consume the correct dose of medicine. There are other drugs that I have heard of that work pretty well, LS50 (lincomycin), and Baytril, but I have not used them personally
A former member
Post #: 58
I have to 2nd the advice on Tylan 50. I had a really bad respiratory infection spreading through my flock & thanks to Jason's advice I was able to stop it cold. I did the injectable & while it was a little scary, one of my sick girls was making a recovery within hours. It can be purchased at your local feed & seed.
Jason M.
user 13185677
Conyers, GA
Post #: 51
Stacy
Glad to hear that the little one made it, hopefully there won't be any more
Solveig C.
ChrisAndSolveig
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 11
Thanks much for the help! It seems the meds are in short supply - they told us at Standard F&S that a lot of people have been coming in because of sick chickens. We did find Tetroxy HCA 280 a bit further away and hopefully it will help. Our sick chicken is still alive but looks miserable, but no one else looks sick yet. Thanks again and best wishes! solveig.
Jason M.
user 13185677
Conyers, GA
Post #: 52
(Oxy)tetracycline may help, it can't hurt, if it is going to work you should see marked improvement after a couple of days, but continue it for the full amount of time listed on the label. One problem there will be if she isn't drinking. Most birds when they get that sick stop drinking and if they don't drink the water they don't get enough of the medication. Tetracycline is the old standby and it is like Pennecillin, though it will still work sometimes, it has been used for so long there are alot of pathogens that have become immune to it. Tractor Supply carries Tylan 50 injectable, and my feed store here in Conyers, The Stock Market, had Tylan 50 injectable, Tylan 40, and LS50 (lincomycin) yesterday. Good luck, I hope she makes it.
A former member
Post #: 59
I have some Tylan 50 that you can borrow & 5 syringes. I am in Decatur/Oakhurst 404-441-7829 I really think that is the way to go as I tried the Tetroxy and the only result I got was more sick chickens.
A former member
Post #: 5
I have some Tylan 50 and syringes.if I would be closer for you

We are between Covington and McDonough,,,,,,,,,,,770 786 7715
Solveig C.
ChrisAndSolveig
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 12
Thanks so much, I will give you a call this afternoon! I don't think the meds we got are working very well. She's still alive and seems to be eating and drinking well, but the side of her face is horribly swollen, with no improvement. I can't even tell if she still has her eye underneath, and even her beak is getting worped so it can't close.
Solveig C.
ChrisAndSolveig
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 14
Sherry was kind enough to give us some of her supply of Tylan 50 (thank you!), but we're not sure the dosage for a 2.5 month Jersey giant. It sounds like a standard hen dosage is .5ml? Should we go with that?