addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 7
Hello, we just brought home chicks of varying ages, but have noticed a three to four week Buff orpington has bloody stool. Can anyone give an idea of how to appropriately address this and whether this one needs to be separated from the other chicks? Also, is this something that might be contagious to other animals?

Thank you...

Kayla and Caroline
esther g.
user 11515107
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 126
Might be coccidiosis. I would separate that chick immediately, and wash the brooder, feeder, and waterer down with hot water and a very very weak bleach solution or run them through the dishwasher. Replace all bedding, etc. If you're not already using a medicated feed, you might start using one. Also, adding a small amount of apple cider vinegar to their water can promote good digestive health. Cocci spreads when they eat infected bits of poo, so keep feed and water very clean. Hopefully others can also give you good suggestions on what might be going on.
A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks, Esther. I am reading that Sulmet and Corid are appropriate treatments for coccidiosis, which apparently are carried by some feed stores. Any thoughts on either of these?

Thanks,

Caroline
Scott B.
scottbrazinski
Cartersville, GA
Post #: 118
Have the chicks ever been on the ground (dirt) prior to your getting them? Cocci is a bacteria that lives in the soil and could be picked up by the chick if on bare ground and IF they were not being fed medicated chick starter. Did all your chicks come from the same place? If so, is this the only one showing this problem?

As gross as it sounds, a picture would be very beneficial

A little blood in the stool would not cause me concern personally as it could be from any number of things:

- shed intestinal lining (pretty common even in grown birds)
- worms (would need to be treated for)
- a tear in the vent area (have you checked there?)

While I agree with Esther that it COULD be cocci, before I went thru the mess of treating everyone with the meds (Sulmet, and you would need to treat ALL your chicks) for cocci, I would want to be pretty certain it was the proper diagnosis

Scott
A former member
Post #: 15
We are having the same problem with 11 week girls (we just have 2 BR). It looks like one is having bloody stools. I have put apple cider vinegar in their water. how do you test for other issues? One is growing much faster than the other too - is that common?
Cotton Indian F.
KeotaLynn
Jonesboro, GA
Post #: 34
Agree that it sounds like cocci. If you have a regular vet that you use for other animals (dogs/cats) call them and see if you can take a fresh stool sample if they will do a fecal float to determine if it's cocci. If not you might be best to treat for it anyway.

You will need to treat the entire flock with the antibiotic, but it's fairly simple. We mixed it with the water and treated all of them, since it is contagious. I had five hens that were 8-10 weeks old and we'd moved them to their outdoor living arrangements when we dealt with this last year about this time.

I only mixed up enough for 1 gallon of water each day so as not to waste the antibiotics and to ensure it was a fresh batch everyday. Don't use the ACV while you're doing the antiboitic. REsume the ACV after you finish the antibiotics.