addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board Coop Designs and Pictures › Home Depot and Lowes selling chicken coops!

Home Depot and Lowes selling chicken coops!

Keith
user 10516017
Woodstock, GA
Post #: 9
Well, not exactly, but I am looking into getting one of their resin storage sheds and modifying it. Has anyone used these for a coop, or think of a down side in doing so? It seems like this is the easiest approach for the time- and finance-constrained.
Lowes
Home Depot
Nanci
user 9610727
Covington, GA
Post #: 248
I saw a really nice small shed at Home Depot, well insulated and it had 4 windows that could be opened for summertime. It also had accesories like shelving units that would be good to hold nest boxes. I checked the maker out online and they have a coupon for money off on their website.

Nanci
Michael M.
mikem2424
Perry, GA
Post #: 3
I looked at that route then decided i would be cheap and just build one to save alot of money. Needless to say im not satisfied with my crappy coop. I will be going to Lowes when i get some extra money to go that route.
Cicely
user 10140812
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 9
Petco is actually selling chicken coops. Not very cheaply, but its a reliable place and you can always go return them if you're unsatisfied, as opposed to the mail order sources.

About a year ago I would have to drive up to Canton to get chicken feed, but in the past year, small pet shops, and even Lowes, Home Depot, and Petco have brought in chicken feed! My dad tells me backyard chickening is becoming vogue, so we're ahead of fashion :)
A former member
Post #: 37
My coop is a 3 1/2 x 7 rubbermaid shed that I modified and then added a 6 x 8 run. It is adequate for the 7 hens that I am raising since they have access to both the coop and run during the day. I have found no down sides yet to using this type of shed.

The storage space under the floor of the coop is really handy. The only "skilled" carpentry was making the sliding door frame for the coop-to-run access. With the exception of that door, all other exterior surfaces are maintenance free.

I also built a 5 gallon drip watering system that uses the nipples. For the coldest parts of the winter, I am adding a regular watering dish that can be set out during the day and then removed in the evening.

There are pictures on my members' profile. Please email me if you have any questions.
Elaine
bunnyfeathers
Kingston, GA
Post #: 323
I got one of the 8x8 sheds for my goats.
Not impressed with the materials.
2x2s are not very sturdy. I prefer 2x4 walls.
I would not put the floor in. The liquid waste (Chicken waterers, as well as the other kind) soaks into the chipboard and the smell can't be gotten out. It stays damp and rots no matter how much shavings and how often you clean it out. If you want the floor to be wood, replace the cheap stuff that comes with the kit with 3/4" Marine Plywood. Then put down a layer of Roofing Shingles or a tarp. Tarps are great because you can drag the whole thing to the flower garden. Get one at Home Depot that is Brown. It is the only one that will last more than 2 months of actual use. All other tarps are made for covering something up with, not actually using.
Put it together with screws. Otherwise the sideboards pop loose with nails. The cheaper ones you have to prime and paint the siding or it disentigrates in the weather. Some of the more expensive versions come with good siding and 2x4 frame.
After you put the shingles on top. Go the extra little bit and put 1/4 inch plywood or paneling in the ceiling. The roofing nails are just right to snag your head. I am all up to date on my tetanus, but, hair grew back white in the cut so I have a white streak 3 inches long.
I would put insulation in the walls and panel the inside for extra warmth in winter and cool in summer.
I do like the barn shape and I love the windows.
I cut a smaller hole in one of the doors and put hinges on it for the animals to use.
the latch was a joke for the big doors so I used it on the little door. I replaced it with 2 brackets that hold a 2x4 across both doors to keep them shut. I had to put 2x4s across the top and bottom inside as door stops to keep the doors from closing too far in. Halfway through the first summer, I ended up screwing the doors shut, because the 2x2 door frames warped.

BUT - it is still mostly intact after 8 years. And Goats are a lot meaner to a building than a chicken. They like to rub against, butt heads with and pee on - pretty much everything. So 8 years with goats is like 20 years with chickens.
A former member
Post #: 1
I Know the problems with selecting a chicken coop. I searched and looked at many houses from $100 to $2000 and couldn't find any good house in my price range. Finally I designed and built the perfect coop. LOL! After all, I am retired, do wood working as a hobby and labor cost was zilch. Several people saw my coop and wanted one themselves. Alas, I am now in the coop building. I have delivered about 40 in and around Atlanta. Chickens, sustainable living and helping other people get started with backyard chickens is my passion.
My goal is to build a beautiful, functional and quality chicken coop cheaper than you can build it yourself unless you are retired and your labor rate is also zilch. Check my coop's out at www.backyardcoopcompany.com
Gus Thornton