Welcome to our 33rd Transbelief Dialogue & Nature Walk, where we follow Aristotle's path of peripatetically discussing our differences. It's been called "Mindwalk + My Dinner with Andre!" This time, our Nature Walk-n-Talk will stroll east down Minnehaha Creek from the Bronze Bunny Sculpture on Portland and 50th Street, at 2:00pm Sunday, July 28. After our stroll, we'll detour a few blocks north on Chicago Ave to Pepitos, at 4820 Chicago Ave, for Mexican after-dinner!
This Meetup is part of our group's recurring forum, The Dialogium, for facilitative, reasoning dialogue between FMCOR's very different folks!
And what will be the topic for our Dialogium 32 at Minnehaha Creek? Suggested by an FMCOR member, it'll be a "super" topic! We'll be discussing...
"The Symbolism of Superman"
As we stroll Minnehaha Creek we'll tackle these issues:
- What Judaic mythic creature underlied Joe Schuster's DC character, "Superman"?
- What traits does Superman share (or not share) with Nietszche's "Ubermensch"?
- Must a Superman be inextricably linked to "Truth, Justice, and The American Way"?
- How did the Uberman get inextricably linked to Nazism?
- Why were Soviet sculptures of communist farmers portrayed as huge & heroic?
- Who'd get the most votes today for being the one person closest to a "Superman"?
- What's up with comparing Supes to Jesus?!
- What mythos does Supes' being orphaned or an immigrant represent?
- What myths does Kryptonite come from?
- Would a world ruled by Superman be bad? Or good?
- Why must every Superman have a Lex Luthor? What myth does Lex come from?
- (And why in heck is Lex bald?)
- Isn't Lex a good guy for protecting humanity from arrogant aliens?
- What modern myths has Superman inspired?
- If you could be Superman (or Superwoman), would you? Should you?
- Would you rather be Superman, or Batman? Or another superhero/villain? Why?
- What would a world without the dream of being a Superman be like?
Don't miss FMCOR's Dialogium 33, on Sunday, July 28, 2-4pm, to tell us how YOU see the Symbolism of Superman!
Logistics: Let us know when you RSVP if you need a carpool ride.
After our 2:00-4:00 p.m. Walk-n-Talk, those who've worked up an appetite (or need to warm up) will join us at Pepitos for after-dinner.
Invite your friends for our Walk & Talk -- the more different we are, the more enlightening our conversation!
Hoping to see (and hear!) you at our Dialogium 33 on "The Symbolism of Superman!" -- RSVP "Yes" today!
(When you RSVP, please tell us: 1) If you want a carpool ride to and from our Meetup & Dinner; 2) If you need monetary assistance to attend our after-dinner; and 3) If you have suggestions for a question you'd like FMCOR to discuss at a later Dialogium.