DUE TO THE EXTREME HEAT ALERTS [masked]F IN SHADE) IN LATE AUGUST, OUR MEETUP WAS RESCHEDULED TO THIS NEW DATE: SUNDAY, SEPT 8, 2-4PM (Weather Prediction: 75F!)
Welcome to our 34th Transbelief Dialogue & Nature Walk, where we follow Aristotle's path of peripatetically discussing our differences. It's been called "Mindwalk + My Dinner with Andre!" This time, our Nature Walk-n-Talk will stroll around the Lake Harriet Rose Garden and Bird Sanctuary, at 2:00pm Sunday, SEPTEMBER 8 [NEW DATE]. After our stroll, we'll drop by the west side of Lake Harriet to visit a Linden Hills restaurant for after-dinner!
This Meetup is part of our group's recurring forum, The Dialogium, for facilitative, reasoning dialogue between FMCOR's very different folks!
And what will be the topic for our Dialogium 34 at the Rose Garden? Suggested by FMCOR member Julie:
"Do We Have Free Will?"
As we stroll Minnehaha Creek we'll tackle these issues:
• Does free will indeed exist, or is it an illusion?
• If it does exist, how much freedom do we have?
• If it doesn't exist, must we pretend it still does, to keep our sense of control?
• Are we free to follow our motive, even if our motive is determined (compatibilism)?
• By what mechanism does free will (or the illusion of it) operate?
• Does an unconscious choice represent one that isn't free?
• Must we first think on our choices, to truly make a free choice?
• Do some have more "free will" than others?
• Do you act by free will, while others live as puppets?
• What is "will," anyway? Is it conscious action? Is it unconscious intention?
• Is will the act of initiating our behaviors, or canceling them?
• What is the relationship between free will and the concepts of judgment & sin?
• If you were God, would you create men with free will or without it?
• Does having free will cause more happiness, or more misery?
Don't miss FMCOR's Dialogium 34, on Sunday, SEPTEMBER 8 [NEW DATE], 2-4pm, to exert for us your own free will!
Logistics: Let us know when you RSVP if you need a carpool ride.
After our 2:00-4:00 p.m. Walk-n-Talk, those who've worked up an appetite (or need to warm up) will join us at for after-dinner in Linden Hills.
Invite your friends for our Walk & Talk -- the more different we are, the more enlightening our conversation!
Hoping to see (and hear!) you at our Dialogium 34 on "Do We Have Free Will?" -- RSVP "Yes" today!
(When you RSVP, please tell us: 1) If you want a carpool ride to and from our Meetup & Dinner; 2) If you need monetary assistance to attend our after-dinner; and 3) If you have suggestions for a question you'd like FMCOR to discuss at a later Dialogium.