Welcome to our 23rd Transbelief Dialogue & Nature Walk, where we follow Aristotle's path of peripatetically discussing our differences. It's been called "Mindwalk + My Dinner with Andre!" This time, we'll meet in South Mpls at Minnehaha Parkway & Portland Ave. S., at the bronze bunny sculpture! We'll stroll along famous Minnehaha Creek's urban nature path while hearing each other's perspectives and worldviews through reasoning dialogue. This Meetup is part of our group's recurring forum, The Dialogium, for facilitative, reasoning dialogue between FMCOR's very different folks!
For our Dialogium 23 along Minnehaha Parkway, we'll offer and discuss our individual perspectives on a topic suggested by an FMCOR member (in honor of the Easter Bunny):
"Christianity: Relabeled Paganism?"
We'll Meetup at 2:00 p.m. Sunday, April 22 at the Parkway's bronze rabbit sculpture in just southeast of the intersection of Portland Ave S. & E. Minnehaha Pkwy/50th Street. Dress to hike for our spring nature walk and dialogue on the origin (or plagiarism?) of pagan rituals and myths in later Christianity:
- Where did Easter come from, and why does it also involve sunrise worship, bunnies and eggs?
- Was Christmas originally a pagan Saturnalia celebration? Who was Santa Claus? And WTF was Black Peter and the Krampus?!
- Where did the Christmas Tree, Wreaths, Xmas Gifts, Mistletoe and the Yule Log come from? And what's a Poop Log?!
- Why is All Saints Day the day after Halloween? What about the Day of the Dead? And from where did the Jack-O-Lantern arise?
- Was the Madonna -- the Virgin Mary -- originally worshipped as Cybele and Isis?
- What does Lent have to do with Babylon and Egypt?
- Was the resurrection of Jesus originally that of Nimrod, Adonis, Mithras, and Horus?
- Are the Angels and Saints old Minor Deities under new aliases?
- Is idolatry still used in Christianity today?
- Why do Priests wear robes and a mitre that looks like a fish head? And what does Dagon have to do with it?!
Don't miss FMCOR's Dialogium 23, to tell us how YOU see (or don't see?) pagan influences in modern religion!
Logistics: Let us know when you RSVP if you want a carpool ride.
After our 2:00-4:00 p.m. Walk-n-Talk along Minnehaha Creek, those who've worked up an appetite will visit Carboni's at Cedar, or another nearby restaurant, for after-dinner -- restaurant suggestions welcome!
We've tried to schedule this FMCOR Meetup on a Sunday afternoon free from major Meetups by other groups in the secular and religious Meetup communities, so please encourage members of your other Meetup groups to consider attending our Nature Walk & Talk -- the more different we are, the more enlightening our conversation!
Hoping to see (and hear!) you at our Dialogium 23 on "Christian Paganism" -- so RSVP "Yes" today!
(When you RSVP, please tell us: 1) If you want a carpool ride to and from our Meetup & Dinner; 2) If you need monetary assistance to attend our after-dinner; and 3) If you have suggestions for a question you'd like FMCOR to discuss at a later Dialogium.)