Classic & Cult Film London Message Board › Montgomery Clift season at the BFI

Montgomery Clift season at the BFI

Christopher
user 28696952
London, GB
Post #: 11
https://whatson.bfi.o...­

Are we going to any of these? We really ought not to miss this opportunity of seeing some great films spanning the career of my personal favourite leading man of the late Hollywood classic period Montgomery Clift. He could be considered a rebel hero along with contemporaries Brando and Dean but of a more thoughtful, less demonstrative type.

These are not feelgood movies - the themes are generally dark and sometimes harrowing, but they are eminently watchable. The best of them have the high production values you expect for a Hollywood star vehicle but combined with a deep sincerity that is nearly always lacking in the mainstream today, which is why I'm a classic film buff.

If you haven't seen Clift on the silver screen then you're in for a treat, especially the ladies. The gentlemen are no less well-served, with co-stars including Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe.

Unmissable for any self-respecting classic film aficionado:
From Here to Eternity
The Heiress
A Place in the Sun

Highly Recommended:
Freud
The Search
The Misfits
I Confess

Not seen but probably very good:
Red River
Wild River
The Young Lions

Somewhat schlock:
Suddenly, Last Summer
Raintree County
Pedro
user 13482566
London, GB
Post #: 11
Thanks, Christopher. Personally I think "Suddenly, Last Summer" is quite good, and I wouldn't advise "The Heiress" really (not a great movie by any standards). Good season overall, unfortunately coming at a very busy period for me.
A former member
Post #: 1
I would really like to see From Here to Eternity! Is a Place in the Sun on at the BFI too as part of that season?

Philip W.
user 9296675
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 7
If it's okay with everyone I think I'm probably going to organise mMeetups for A Place in the Sun on the 13th and the The Misfits on the 26th. How does that sound to everyone?
Christopher
user 28696952
London, GB
Post #: 12
I've just seen the Heiress again and I have to insist that it is a true classic. I loved every minute and didn't want it to end.
A former member
Post #: 2
That's a good tip thanks, I'll check if that's still on. I saw A Place in the Sun last w/end and I wasn't too sure about MC's performance to be honest. Interesting direction maybe? But Liz Taylor looked as gorgeous as ever.
A former member
Post #: 3
Just wondered does anyone fancy seeing The Misfits, the showing on the 26th February?
Christopher
user 28696952
London, GB
Post #: 14
Unfortunately I have a meeting that evening.