Classic Books: A Book Club for Voracious Readers Message Board › More book suggestions...

More book suggestions...

A former member
Post #: 5
Anything by: Michael Chabon, Pirandello, Paul Auster, Tolstoy, Mona Simpson (apparently Steve Jobs' widow), Graham Swift, JM Coetzee, Saul Bellow, GG Marquez, Steinbeck. Also, The Living and the Dead (Patrick White), Young Adam (Frances Lengel), Paradise Lost (Milton), Confessions of Zeno (Italo Svevo). How about Peer Gynt by Ibsen?
A former member
Post #: 1
believe it or not there are classic FEMALE authors besides Jane Austen: Willa Cather, Edith Wharton, May Sarton, Muriel Spark, Alice Walker to name a few . . .
Arlinda S.
user 4452084
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Suggestions are always appreciated, especially so for female writers. We've read a handful of them, and we'll get to the rest...
Lucinda
user 46622742
Cambridge, MA
Some Russian thoughts:
Kolyma Tales, Varlam Shalamov
Summer in Baden Baden, Leonid Tsypkin
A former member
Favorites I've read and want to reread followed by classics I haven't read and really want to read:

Anthony Trollope: Barchester Towers, The Small House at Allington, Orley Farm, The Way We Live Now
Jane Austen: Persuasion
Charlotte Bronte: Jane Eyre
George Eliot: Romola
Maria Edgeworth: Belinda
Victor Hugo: Les Miserables
Charles Dickens: David Copperfield
Milan Kundera: The Book of Laughter and Forgetting
Salman Rushdie: Midnight's Children
A former member
Post #: 2
I've never read anything by Salman Rushdie or Anthony Trollope and both are definitely on my to read list.

Read The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera and would be open to The Book of Laughter and Forgetting.

also: Rabbit, Run by John Updike

and

Ghost Stories by Edith Wharton

Unfortunately I've yet to attend a book club meeting. I've either not been able to get my hands on a book in time or just not been able to attend.
marshall w.
user 39578062
Waltham, MA
I think that the suggestion of "Rabbit Run" by John Updike is a really good one. I read this several years ago and it seemed about 20 years ahead of time even back in the early 80's. Remember the time setting was somewhere during the late fifties. Updike had written a sequel to "Rabbit Run,"called "Rabbit Redux." This title expands the origional which seemed to leave the reader hanging.. It is also a comment on how morals and values were starting to change in the mid-twentieth century United States.
Jessica
user 12547171
Brookline, MA
Post #: 4
Just covered a book for my site that's been re-released by New York Review of Books Classics that seems like it would be a good fit: The Gate by Natsume Soseki, who is the big guy in modern Japanese fiction and one of Marukami's influences.

One of these "classics" of 20th century literature that I'd never heard of before.

The Gate on Goodreads
Lucinda
user 46622742
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 3
If we're looking for something on the lighter side to start the good weather, I enjoyed both of these a while ago:

http://www.nybooks.co...­
http://www.nybooks.co...­