Cleveland Civic Hacking Meetup Message Board › Help build a mobile app/site for Cuyahoga County

Help build a mobile app/site for Cuyahoga County

Jeff S.
jeffschuler
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 42
Hey Civic Hackers,

Sorry it's been awhile!
A neat opportunity has come up for us to do some collaborating.

The TAP initiative has been invited to design and build a mobile app with-and-for the Cuyahoga County government. Your participation is welcome and appreciated.

Since the TAP Summit, (a 2-day summit held earlier this year on transparency in local gov't,) we've continued conversations with a few key folks at the County about ways to grow and nurture an environment of openness and transparency. We have a few stakes in the fire, and see this recent proposal they've made us as a great opportunity to concretize and further the relationship.

They're implementing an initiative to gather feedback on their performance at customer service, County-wide: measuring citizens' satisfaction after an interaction with any County department: via survey cards, phone, and their website. They've suggested to us the possibility of helping them build a mobile app (or mobile-optimized site) that would present this same functionality via smartphone.

It's a relatively small project and they're most interested, currently, in getting something out the door quickly to complement the paper version that's ready to launch, but they're open to some future steps we've pitched like a design competition or hack-a-thon to build a more engaging/tailored solution and to grow the civic hacking ecosystem.

This is a great opportunity for us to work together with each other and with them, to help usher them into the mobile space, and to present ideals like open data and open standards as tenets in their processes. And the initiative itself is an effort to help the County become more accessible and accountable to its citizenry.

We'd appreciate your help as designer, developer, sysadmin, analyst, tester, marketer, project manager, or whatever your expertise. Because of the short timeline, I'm going to start adding some meetings to our calendar to get this going, but we'll adapt the schedule based on who's interested and willing to participate. I'll announce them as I add them.

Feel free to respond with questions and comments, and to invite others who might be interested.

Thanks, happy new year, and hope to work alongside you soon!

+ Jeff Schuler
Richard S.
user 10949477
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 9
We are actually putting together a developer toolkit for building native mobile apps (in xcode and android sdk) with a node.js backend for a whole string of projects we have been working on with large research universities. We would love to let folks use it to help with this project - it will soon be open source anyways. We can easily expose an API via GeoJSON, JSON, etc. for drupal sites to data as well. We are digging very deep into data visualization so there could be some exciting stuff!
Jeff S.
jeffschuler
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 43
Hey Richard, I'm glad you're interested in this! It sounds like you guys are doing some cool stuff.

I'm not sure whether this particular project is going to need much tech sophistication... It's looking right now like it'll be best suited to be a simple mobile-optimized website, rather than "real" app. It'd be great to keep that possibility in mind in terms of how this might evolve, though, or for future projects, and if you want to suggest it at the planning session Wednesday, that'd be great.

Thanks!
Jeff S.
jeffschuler
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 44
Jeff S.
jeffschuler
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 45
Conversation has moved to this project's mailing list. Please go there for more...