Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › Editing Awards

Editing Awards

George
user 8819192
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 15
Tonight are the Eddie Awards given by the American Cinema Editors. The nominees are:

DRAMA: The Descendants, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Hugo, Moneyball, War Horse

COMEDY OR MUSICAL: The Artist, Bridesmaids, Midnight in Paris, My Week with Marilyn, Young Adult

ANIMATED: The Adventures of Tintin, Puss in Boots, Rango
Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 121
I find myself wondering what film editors do, exactly... make corrections, I imagine, and ensure everything is as it should be... but I'm sure there is more to it than that. And I don't know how those who vote on the awards can tell what the editors have done...
Dumb comments, I suppose, but at least I'm admitting to being clueless about this stuff.

-user 3464426
George
user 8819192
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 16
Editors cut the film. Every time it goes from one shot to another, that's the editor's choice (in collaboration with the director, of course). Their fingerprints are on every frame (not literally, because that would make for a messy movie). I consider it the third most important job, next to the screenwriter and the director. It governs almost all of the timing and pace of the movie.

And the winners are:
The Descendants, The Artist, and Rango.