addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › OFFICIAL THREAD FOR LISTING MOVIES YOU HAVE SEEN AT THE FILM FESTIVAL

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR LISTING MOVIES YOU HAVE SEEN AT THE FILM FESTIVAL

Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 125
Free Men: Good. A true account of the Algerian resistance that took place in and around a Parisian mosque during WWII.

Pegasus: Though many in the half-filled theater seemed to like--even be mesmerized by--this film, it definitely was not for me. It is a psychological drama which evolves back and forth between reality and fantasy. It interested me in the beginning, but before long the slow pace and melodrama made me wish it would end....SOON.
Alex
user 2952202
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 6
Come As You Are--A funny, sweet, touching road trip movie about three disabled young men who want to travel on their own to Spain (to visit a brothel). Good story, albeit a little formulaic. May be my favorite film at the Festival.
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 122
From my blog

Apartment in Athens. A typical WWII movie that is good but nothing special.

Shuffle. My favorite film of the festival so far. It is that good and if there is justice in the world, we will see it at the Cedar Lee later this year.

Soul of the Flies. A superb Spanish film that is quirky, and I mean quirky in a positive way. Look for this film. It is worth it.

Toll Booth. Watching this movie took a toll on me (ouch). Not only that, it shows hardly any of the landscape that makes the country so beautiful.

Secret Objects. A strong Korean film that pushes the envelope on sexual escapades. A decent film that I would search out for.

The Kid Who Lies. The irony, of course, is that adults tell lies to the leading child actor getting his hopes up that his mother might still be alive. A worthwhile entry.
Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 10
3-27 Come As You Are, thought it was wonderful. ok, what the hell does formulaic mean? I think I know, but who cares? Thoroughly enjoyed this.
Alex
user 2952202
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 7
Hollywood Shorts Program--Five short films (although, at 30 minutes, some of these films should be called "mediums") starring some names you know, including Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and Jason Alexander (alas, not in the same film). As with all shorts programs, some films work better than others. A couple of thoughtful films, a couple of laugh-out-loud films. Very enjoyable, overall.
Lori D
lori3040meetup
Akron, OH
Post #: 20
So far I'm 50/50 with my movie selections. 50% I would recommend, the other 50% I would not.

All Alone - this story has been done already and it was predictable. It was ok.

Hotline was kinda funny but was slow at times, it was ok.

Cat Vanishes is my least favorite so far. The ending was the best part of an otherwise boring movie. I left the theater very unhappy with wasting hard earned $$$.

On Sun I hit the jackpot !!
* Yelling to the Sky - great movie, interesting story with an opening sequence that grabbed my attention right away. I also think the opening music sequence features what sounds like Black Violin. I didn't have a chance to confirm this, but it sure did sound like them.

Colour Me - my 2nd winner of the afternoon. Great documentary and even better getting to meet the very attractive main character after the Q & A.

Headhunters - Liked this one as well. This movie kept me engaged all the way to the end !! I will be looking for this one on DVD.
Vero G
Veronique
Mentor, OH
Post #: 3
Immature
This is an entertaining movie, funny and nice to see! There is an extra screening this WE, you can go, you will have a great time.
Give it 5

Craft
A little long, and filmed in a way not always pleasant (difficult to explain why, I don't know anything about technical aspects). However, the lead actress is very good.
Give it 3,5

Free men
Very good and interesting movie, The characters are engaging, and it's interesting to see this part of history between Jews and Muslims during the 2nd world war.
Give it 5

Cape spin
Good Documentary speaking about 10 years Of fighting between pros and opponents Of cap wind project, Construction of a wind farm off cap code, Massashusset. Interesting for me because I never heard about this project, well balanced between pros and cons.
Give it 4

17 girls
Good for a first movie! What is interesting and well done in this movie is the psychological aspect of teenagers, these 16-17 years old girls have crazy dreams, they want to change the world, and over all, they don't want to look like their parents!
Give it 4

Robert Z.
user 3557957
Wickliffe, OH
Post #: 1
So far, I have only seen one:
*The Girls In The Band*
This was such a great documentary, highlighting the overlooked or forgotten heroines of jazz. Music fans may know the more famous ones: Marian McPartland, Lil Hardin, Mary Lou Williams, Mary Osborne. So many new names were introduced to me, spanning all the eras of jazz up to today. There were many insightful interviews, detailing the hardships these performers had to face in the early years, but also some touching recollections of the bonds they formed while performing and touring together. A short clip of Vi Redd, who I had never heard of before, really riveted me in particular; now I love her and wish more about her was included in this film. Recommended for music fans (ie: everybody, right?).

See the trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfP2ylrq3A

Vi Redd performing "Stormy Monday" with the Count Basie Orchestra: www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9cM3ALga80
Wayne
user 3824195
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 50
Every film I have seen has been excellent. Two from today:

Tilt. A band of Bulgarian youths in the late 80s, after running afoul of the law, decides to head to Germany for better opportunity, only to realize they may have missed out on their own (shady) opportunity in Bulgaria. When they return to Bulgaria, a traitor they left behind has found success as an enforcer, and has a rough confrontation with one of the youths who has returned to be with his girlfriend, a relationship forbidden by her powerful father.

Cousinhood. Fantastic Spanish film (my favorite so far) of a groom jilted at the altar and his relationship with his two cousins, and the girl who deflowered him years before. The interplay between the group is hysterical.
Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 126
Lucky: I thought this was a good film, though some of you would probably call it "formulaic." Based on the plight of a young South African orphan (or maybe he isn't an orphan after all...). The kid tries very hard to find the right way to carry on his life, meets some interesting characters along the way, and in the end it feels like he has found the best solution.

Restoration: The plot is great and it started out so good, but in my opinion the acting and pacing caused it to kind of fizzle out. Just OK.

I have a full load of films to see on Sunday, and I think they will be the best (including Hotline, Shuffle, A Perfect Life, and The Intouchables...ask me later what I thought of them, and hopefully I can remember ;-/).
I'm just hoping I can stick with the whole program.. =:-0 Wish me luck, and I'm sure I will see some of you there!