Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › Tideland at the Cinematheque, Thursday Feb 1 at 8:45pm

Tideland at the Cinematheque, Thursday Feb 1 at 8:45pm

Greg
ghinkle
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 19
It's tomorrow, but I just found out about it.

Tideland, Terry Gilliam's 2005 film is finally making it's Cleveland debut. I didn't know it had even been released.

http://www.imdb.com/t...­

It's playing at the Cinematheque tomorrow night and Sunday the 4th. But Sunday's the Superbowl, so it's tomorrow or never for me. (DVD doesn't count - Gilliam films should be seen in the theatre.)

http://www.cia.edu/ac...­

Just a heads up in case there are other Gilliam fans in the group.

(Was great to meet many of you last night!)
Morgan
morgan404
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 105
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm a fan of Brazil and Twelve Monkeys, and this one looks good from the trailers (though reviews have been all over).

I might go, but more likely on Sunday in my case.
Lisa
user 3388092
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
I was really excited to see this on the Cinematheque schedule and had planned to go last night, but after reading the reviews decided to wait for the dvd. I agree, good Gilliam is absolutely big-screen stuff, but the choice was between this and Pan's Labyrinth last night, so based on such negativity from the critics, I chose the latter. Did anyone see it? Your thoughts?

Starting next Wednesday, there are daily must-see films at CMA and the Cinematheque. Matthew Barney documentary; Jodorowsky and Herzog films.

schedules:
www.cia.edu/cinematheque
www.clevelandart.org/film

Sorry I haven't been able to participate more in this group's planned screenings. School + work + projects = not the same time for films. Of course, next week I'll be pretty much camped out at University Circle every night, so maybe the group will meet for some of these films?

p.s. Are the Indians playing in the Superbowl this year?

Lisa*M
Greg
ghinkle
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 20
Okay, I saw it last night, and man would I love to talk about it. Gilliam states at the beginning of the film that you'll either hate it or love it, and he hopes the latter. After seeing the movie, you can see why that statement is there.

I think the difference is this: either there's a part of you that can still see the world as a child would, or there isn't. If you can see that, look through that lens of innocence, you can get something out of this movie. If you can't watch the film with anything other than an adult mindset, you'll hate it.
Greg
ghinkle
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 21
Oh, and you mentioned Pan's Labyrinth - you could draw comparisons between the two, as both feature young girls and the world they live in. In Pan's Labyrinth, you have two worlds: reality and fantasy, and the question is whether or not the fantasy IS the reality. In Tideland, her world is reality, though she lives in fantasy, though the reality is so completely messed up that as an adult, you've a hard time deciding how you feel.

The reality in Pan's Labyrinth - the atrocities of war, the violence - as an adult, you know to be horrified. Tideland, on the other hand, is filmed from the perspective of a little girl. So you're there with her, in her mind, and you're not sure how to react to what she's seeing.
Morgan
morgan404
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 106
If I can make time I'll see it on Sunday. Otherwise... DVD!