addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › Free movie with snacks Tuesday 1/29

Free movie with snacks Tuesday 1/29

Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
In case anyone is interested.  University hts branch of library offereing free movies.  Corner of Cedar and Fenwick, right down from Whole Foods.

Culinary Journeys Film Series
Event Type: Adult
Date: 1/29/2013
Start Time: 6:00 PM
End Time: 9:00 PM
Library: University Heights Branch
Description: Eat Drink Man Woman (China, 1994)

http://evanced.info/heights/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=46401&ret=eventcalendar.asp­
Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 147
hmm... This looks interesting! I see they are showing Like Water for Chocolate (Mexico) on Feb. 12 and Monsoon Wedding (India) on March 19.
Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 11
Should I schedule them? Are you bowling those nights?
Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 148
Yes, but I was thinking I might skip bowling for at least one of them.
I think if you put any or all of them on the schedule, there would be interest.
Debbie
user 49531782
Mentor, OH
Post #: 5
I really enjoyed Life of Pi and wouldn't mind seeing another Ang Lee movie (Eat Drink Man Woman). I've not yet seen it and the reviews are very intriguing.
Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 12
I plan on attending these. If anyone else would like to go, just show up. They start at 6 pm.

UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS -- “Culinary Film Journeys,” a new film series at the University Heights branch of the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library, will begin Jan. 28.

All films are free and start at 6 p.m. at the library, 13866 Cedar Road. They are subtitled and are for adults.

The series will focus on a different country each month with a food-centered film. There will also be light refreshments from each culture to get viewers in the mood.

The series opens Jan. 28 with “Eat Drink, Man Woman,” from China. It’s the story of Master Chef Chu, who lives in a large house in Tapei with his three unmarried daughters.

Other films in the series are:

-- Feb. 12: “Like Water for Chocolate,” from Mexico;

-- March 19: “Monsoon Wedding,” from India.

Call 216-321-4700.

Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 149
Well, I can't make it this time, but hope to go to next month's flick.

Address: 13866 Cedar Rd. 44118
Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 150
Susan and I are planning to see Like Water for Chocolate next Tuesday at 6. Join us if u can!
Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 151
To follow up on the discussion we had following Tuesday's movie at the library, here is Wikipedia's explanation of the title's meaning:

Meaning of title

Like Water for Chocolate's full title is: Like Water for Chocolate: A novel in monthly installments with recipes, romances and home remedies.
The phrase "like water for chocolate" comes from the Spanish como agua para chocolate. This phrase is a common expression in some Spanish-speaking countries and was the inspiration for Laura Esquivel's novel title and it means that one is very angry. In some Latin American countries, such as Mexico, hot chocolate is made not with milk, but with near-boiling water instead.
An alternate interpretation of the saying "like water for chocolate" is to be like water that is hot enough to receive the chocolate (when preparing hot chocolate to drink). It is a metaphor for describing a state of passion or sexual arousal (i.e. 'hot and ready'). This would describe the bubbling passion Tita and Pedro have for each other throughout the book.