align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › Nighttown/The Complete Metropolis - Tomorrow

Nighttown/The Complete Metropolis - Tomorrow

A former member

Greetings Movie Friends!

Just a quick note regarding The Complete Metropolis at The Cleveland Museum of Art's Gartner Auditorium (1st floor) tomorrow and our dinner after at Nighttown.

Here are the confirmed RSVP’s for dinner. Please be aware that maybe RSVP’s will not be included in dinner plans. If you will attend, please update your RSVP status to yes. Also, if you said you were attending the film but hedged on a firm “yes” for dinner like “possibly” or “maybe,” you will not have a seat at the table.

A note to those on a tight budget, like me. Don’t feel obligated to order a meal. It’s not at all uncommon for members to meet after films and order a drink or just coffee. Actually I have been know to only order water. Nighttown offers a very reasonable bar menu including a delicious cheeseburger and fries for $9.95. They also have several items that are vegetarian friendly.

It’s very important to RSVP early and cancel your dinner reservations if you can’t attend. Please be respectful of the Organizers and the Restaurants we patronize. Thank you!

The deadline for dinner RSVP’s has passed, but I will be as flexible as possible. If you decide to join us at the last minute, see me before or after the movie. Considering the small number, it should not be difficult to add people. At this writing, I have RSVP’s from the following for dinner:

Dinner at 5 p.m. on Nighttown’s enclosed patio - Stephen's Green!

Bill (me) – 1
Jim – 2
Joe McC - 1

Total = 4

Please let me know ASAP if you will NOT be attending dinner. It is easier to accommodate a “last minute Nellie” and add a seat at dinner than to deal with an empty chair – the dreaded No Show.

If you have a last minute change of mind – see me at the show!

I should note that the Independent Movie Group members have been very good about honoring the RSVP’s. I am certain that we are considerably above average in this regard. Your organizers do appreciate this. Thank you!

Ciao!

Bill

The Complete Metropolis (1926/2010)
Germany
On Sunday, May 23, at 2 p.m. - Cleveland Museum of Art
Original Music Track, Black&White
Genre: Science Fiction, 150 minutes

A German Expressionist film directed by Fritz Lang, The Complete Metropolis is the film event of the year! In 2008, a 16mm copy of the original version of Fritz Lang’s visionary silent epic - 25 minutes longer than other extant copies of the movie - was discovered in Argentina in 2008. Now that extra footage has been cleaned up, restored, and assembled into what is now (and perhaps will be forever) the definitive version of Lang’s futuristic masterpiece. The added minutes fill the gaps and clarify some of the subplots in this convoluted fable, which takes place in a gleaming futuristic city. The movie delineates the gulf between the wealthy leading lives of privilege above ground and the poor workers toiling underground on the machinery that powers the metropolis. A robot-led revolt threatens the lives and security of both classes. With a new recording of the movie’s original orchestral score on the soundtrack, the film will be shown from high-definition video on the large screen in Gartner Auditorium. Special admission $10; $8 CMA members, seniors 65 & over, and students; no passes, twofers, or vouchers accepted. www.kino.com/metropolis

2 p.m. - Movie at the Cleveland Museum of Art
Purchase your tickets on-line on in the lobby (main floor). Meet outside the entrance door 10 minutes ahead of time or look for the group inside the theater. A large attendance is expected so arrive early. The flick is 150 minutes, so expect to be out around 4:40 p.m. You may also meet us afterward outside the entrance door. If you RSVP and have a photo posted, we will wait for you.

If the showtime is inconvenient you may see the film at another time and join us for dinner on Sunday. The film also shows at the Art Museum on Friday, May 21, at 6:15 p.m. - Saturday, May 22, at 10:30 a.m. & 2 p.m. and Sunday, May 23 at 10:30 a.m.

5 p.m. Dinner, Drinks & Discussion – the After-Party @ Nighttown
We’ll meet for dinner after the film at Nighttown, 12387 Cedar Road, 216.795.0550. It’s just a 10-minute drive. We’ll be seated in Stephen’s Green the enclosed patio area.

I will invoke my Press Club discount of 15-percent off food, for members tonight. To benefit from the discount you must: Be a member of the Independent Movie Group or a guest; RSVP for dinner by the deadline as posted; pay for your check in cash. We will have separate checks but you can expect a standard gratuity to be added as is customary. This is a Member Only benefit!

It’s very important to RSVP early and cancel your dinner reservations if you can’t attend. Please be respectful of the Organizers and the Restaurants we patronize.

Nighttown is on Cedar Hill just west of Fairmount. Metered parking is available in the rear with an entrance off Cedar just west of the club. Spaces may also be available in a small free lot just east of the restaurant. We will have a reserved table so you must indicate "dinner" on your RSVP to have a seat! Please let us know your dinner plans on your RSVP so that we can reserve a seat for you at the "Movie Group" table. If circumstances force you to cancel, please try to notify the organizer as early as possible. It’s best to pay your check in cash to streamline the process.