Re: [humanism-174] Atheists/humanists don't care about poverty?

From: Randy P.
Sent on: Friday, February 8, 2013 1:16 PM
Matt,

I am curious to know upon what evidence you base the following statement:

"I think the federal government is very inefficient in this realm, and in fact has many many misguided programs and policies that do more to entrench and perpetuate poverty than solve it, while draining the economy." 

Don't misunderstand me. I am not saying nor implying you are wrong. I am simply trying to determine if this statement is actually based on evidence you can provide or is driven by a political ideology or assumption. I'd like to know which programs and policies you think are misguided and worsen poverty. I am also interested in knowing how it is that these programs and policies entrench and perpetuate poverty.

Randy


From: Greg Priddy <[address removed]>
To: [address removed]
Sent: Friday, February 8,[masked]:13 PM
Subject: Re: [humanism-174] Atheists/humanists don't care about poverty?

Local efforts can be more responsive, at least in theory. But what are the poor to do when they're stuck in some backwater state where the local government sees no need for a social safety net?

One of the strong points of federal programs is that they are consistently applied across the country, or at least every jurisdiction has the same strings attached to a funded mandate.

-Greg

On Fri, 8 Feb[masked]:53:31 -0500
Glen <[address removed]> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
> "Many atheists may also feel that poverty is a problem best addressed by government programs/policies."
>
> I'm definitely not one of them. I think the federal government is generally very inefficient in this realm, and in fact has many many misguided programs and policies that do more to entrench and perpetuate poverty than solve it, while draining the economy. I believe the more local the effort, and the more it emphasizes and encourages self-sufficiency, the better off everyone is, from the taxpayers to the needy.  This is not to say that private charities are always models of efficiency either.  I just read a book entitled _Toxic Charity_ which argues that many private charities and even church "missions" are also run in ways that do more harm than good in the long run, and how that can be turned around.   
>
>
>
>
> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
> http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/
> This message was sent by Glen ([address removed]) from The Cleveland Freethinkers.
> To learn more about Glen, visit his/her member profile: http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/members/8211763/
> Set my mailing list to email me
>
> As they are sent
> http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/list_prefs/?pref=1
>
> In one daily email
> http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/list_prefs/?pref=2
>
> Don't send me mailing list messages
> http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/list_prefs/?pref=0
> Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]
>




--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/
This message was sent by Greg Priddy ([address removed]) from The Cleveland Freethinkers.
To learn more about Greg Priddy, visit his/her member profile: http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/members/14163381/
Set my mailing list to email me

As they are sent
http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/list_prefs/?pref=1

In one daily email
http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/list_prefs/?pref=2

Don't send me mailing list messages
http://www.meetup.com/clevelandfreethinkers/list_prefs/?pref=0
Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]



Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy