The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board The Cleveland Freethinkers Discussion Forum General Discussions › "Interfaith" Interaction: Cleveland Dinner Dialogues

"Interfaith" Interaction: Cleveland Dinner Dialogues

Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 507
Suzy,

Marni & I will be on a much-needed vacation that week. We will certainly be interested in participating in the "next round" :)
Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 512
Vacation postponed- looks like we'll be getting in on this. I've been sort of fired up lately, hope I don't say the wrong thing :)
Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 113

I received an email saying they are looking for hosts to host the dinners on the West side. If anyone can do this, it'd be great! I am excited to be included as a nontheist and am anxious to see what "questions" the moderator will present to the group. I thought of asking what they would be a head of time, but then I realized the religious may do some detailed homework that I would not enjoy hearing. Better to be spontaneous.
**************************************­**************************************

"Amazing Faiths" <afpcleveland@gmail.com>
Add sender to Contacts

Hello

I hope that you are having a wonderful St. Patrick's Day! Thank you again for signing up for the Cleveland Dinner Dialogues. We are excited for your participation.

I am looking for someone to host one of the Dinner Dialogues on the west side. Hosting involves preparing a simple meal (with a vegetarian option) for 8-10 people and having enough room for that group to sit so that everyone can see everyone else, either at a dining room table or in a living room. Many hosts prepare spaghetti and salad. Other popular options include casseroles, vegetarian lasagna, homemade pizza or a sandwich or salad bar. Using paper plates to make clean up easier is fine. A trained moderator will arrive before the other guest to help with final set up and will run the evening.

I would very much appreciate your help to ask around in your community to see if you could find someone who would be interested in serving as a host. We have had many people sign up to host on the east side and far east side and I don't want you to have to drive that far. Also, if you come across others in your area who want to participate, feel free to encourage them to sign up on the website: www.ClevelandDinnerDialogues.org. We will take registrations through the end of next week (March 25th).

If you find someone to host, please let me know! Feel free to respond to this e-mail.

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate your time.

Take care!,
Katherine

The Amazing Faiths Project, Cleveland Coordinator
Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 513
We're signed up to participate- I'm looking forward to this! Even if it's just a token attempt at "building bridges", the fact that they are including non-theists is noteworthy.

Marni & I may be able to host one for the next round, whenever that may be. Cat-pee dining room carpet is soon to be removed, and new carpeting installed :)
Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 118
I just received my assignment to where I will be going to dinner for the Dinner Dialog. Would anyone like to attend with me?? I am allowed to bring one guest. Here is the address to where I am assigned and the other details of the event. I've left the names off, however, just email me with any questions.

It would be good to have another FreeThinker or nontheist at the event with me, however, I am looking forward to it either way.

Suzy
**************************************­****************************************­***
**************************************­****************************************­****
Hello,

Thank you for signing up for The Cleveland Dinner Dialogues! Time flies and the event is only one week away- next Thursday, March 31st, 6:30-9:30.

Here are all of the details for the dinner you will be attending:

4514 Franklin Blvd
Cleveland, OH 44102

Parking-Please park on the street.

A Few Important Notes:
-Please make sure to arrive by 6:30! We want each dinner to stay on schedule, so please allow time for finding the host's home and parking.

-If you are lost or running behind, you can call your group's moderator until 6:45. After 6:45, we ask all participants to silence their phones for the event.

-Your moderator will facilitate the entire evening. However, so you know, there are five parts to the evening: 1.Dinner and questions, 2. Short Break, 3. Dessert and Reflection, 4. Short Free Visit, 5. Survey/Closing

-Please expect things to finish up between 9:15 and 9:30

Thank You!

Thank you again for your participation. So far over 75 people have signed up for this event. We are grateful for your enthusiasm and for the generosity of our seven hosts.
Cleveland Amazing Faiths Dialog Dinners
Ellen
user 9681087
Peninsula, OH
Post #: 139
Suzy I'll go if you'd like. I'm not really good at countering inane religious claims (I never seem to remember facts when I'm under pressure) but I'm hoping that won't be required at this type of gathering.
Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 119
Ellen,

Great!!! I am so glad!

Hey, I do not worry about facts, regarding organized religion. I know exactly what I think makes sense (to me) or not. Maybe I am selfish, but it doesn't matter me what someone else has said, even if they are supposedly credible. When it comes down to the basics in life...living , loving, laughing, learning, I think I keep it simple. I can not imagine what "questions" the moderator will ask of us. The theme is to "get along", so I doubt there will be purposeful argumentative questions. Probably questions like "how do you try to get along with someone who has very different views than you, in regards to religion?"

I will send you a message with more details!! Suzy

Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 121
Wow! I think it is incredible that at the 10 different Cleveland area Dinner Dialogs (total of 70 + attendees), at each one we were represented! !! This is such a positive as we gain a permanent respected place in society a little at a time!! YEAH!
Ellen
user 9681087
Peninsula, OH
Post #: 140
I agree!

p.s. I forgot to tell you after our dinner that I liked what you said about evil: how there really isn't any, just (mental) illness (or something along those lines).

p.p.s. my co-worker Paula does remember you & she says Hi. I told her you're a friend of a friend (just to avoid the whole Freethinker connection).
Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 123
Ellen, I think I said I did not believe there is a thing called evil, and being a nurse, I see it as illness, either mental illness and/or physical illness. I would add that mental illness can be a result of chemical imbalances or physical defects in the brain, however, could also be caused by self survival reactions to bad life experiences (ex. Physical and mental abuse or brain washing)). This can be in animals or humans. That is how I see it.

I wonder how many, sitting at the table, had actually been exposed to an environment where ideas were being expressed freely and respectfully. Of course, I do realize those that signed up may have been of personality type that gravitate to this, if the opportunity arises. (ha! like us)