addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 179
This is a place to give yourself and other kudos for engaging in activism related to CFT goals and ideals.
Don't be shy. You will serve to inspire others. Once in a while we can send out a cumulative list of accomplishments of the group as a whole.

Also post resources such as letter writing campaigns.

Here­ is a list of places to donate to. You don't need to brag about your donation in $$s and cents, but feel free to say, Hey, I renewed my membership!

Or maybe you had a great discussion with someone about religion or science or critical thinking and that person seemed intrigued. It all counts!

Let's use peer pressure in a positive manner to inspire ourselves.

Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 508
Donated a hundred bucks to public broadcasting via WCPN/Ideastream.

Public broadcasting is essential! Though the U.S. House vote to defund NPR is more than likely a "paper tiger" (I seriously doubt any of the recent ridiculous Republican legislation will ever become law), here's hoping that public broadcasting received record donations because of it.

If people would take their noses out of Glenn Beck's & Rush Limbaugh's buttcracks for a moment, they'd realize that they might actually lern somfin' by switching to PBS/NPR.

Others wishing to support public broadcasting can do so HERE.

smile
Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 509
Just renewed Marni's & my Center for Inquiry (CFI) memberships.

I fully support all that CFI does- however as a paid member I will push for CFI to adopt a more "in your face" approach... less "we are the gentle, non-threatening humanists", and more "we are the nonreligious of America, and we're here to stay- like it or not!"

Become a "Friend of the Center" HERE.

cool
A former member
Post #: 180
I just donated an extra sum to NPR and look forward to my mug made out of corn!
www.wcpn.org
A former member
Post #: 182
Josh and I are now members of CFI! I tried to do FFRF but it didn't go through. Maybe their computers thought a crazy atheist stole my card and was going nuts.
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 602
That's interesting, I had the same problem with FFRF. It kept denying that my billing address was correct.

I had a similar problem trying to join the British Humanist Association. Whenever I tried to pay them it not only refused my card payment but set in train a major security alert and messed up the operation of my bank account. It was very expensive in phone calls trying to sort it out with my bank in the UK. I ended up sending the BHA a cheque.

Of course we need to tell the FFRF and any other organisation when we have these problems.

Denying funding to free thought and humanist organisations by hacking into their systems might be a very effective weapon. Security systems presumably work on a "fail safe" principle. They are primarily designed to prevent fraud. Hacking into a system to make it falsely fail safe might be a lot easier than trying to actually defraud it.

Of course I may be extrapolating malign intent from just two examples, but I think it is something we should ask the organisations to consider, especially if they have experienced an unexpected decline in on line payments.
A former member
Post #: 190
I wrote to Marcia Fudge-
Dear Representative Fudge,
I'm writing to ask that you oppose and not cosponsor H Con. Res. 13. This measure would unnecessarily reaffirm the divisive term "In God We Trust" as our nation's motto and call for its public display in all government buildings. An action such as this, makes me, a non-theist feel that I am not considered a full citizen or a patriotic person by my government.

This obviously religious motto is not appropriate for our secular nation, where church and state are supposed to be separate, and where millions of citizens -- both religious and non-religious -- have views that do not include use of the word "god" or who are polytheistic.

"In God We Trust" was not adopted as our national motto until 1956, at the height of McCarthyism, and I believe its symbolic reaffirmation will only alienate millions of Americans at a time when Congress should be focusing on more urgent matters concerning the American people.

It's sad that in this time of divisive politics that politicians are stoking that divisiveness as opposed to living up to our former motto, E Pluribus Unum, "From many, One," a motto symbolizing our common goal to work for the betterment of this nation.

For these reasons, please oppose this measure and stand up for a spirit of togetherness and respect for our nation's constitutional commitment to keep church and state separate.

Thank you very much,

You can send one, too http://action.secular...­ And be sure to sign up for their action alerts. http://action.secular...­
Ellen
user 9681087
Bethlehem, PA
Post #: 134
Renewed my WCPN/PBS membership, increasing my pledge in order to get the Brain Fitness Gym gift and to help counter the likely de-funding of NPR.
Ellen
user 9681087
Bethlehem, PA
Post #: 135
Donated to FBB's Japan earthquake & Pacific tsunami relief fund.
Ellen
user 9681087
Bethlehem, PA
Post #: 136
Have been emailing Rep Betty Sutton in support of various freethinking issues. Met her last weekend at a Red Cross "Save-a-Life Saturday" last weekend and thanked her for her efforts.