The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board › Godless vegetarians

Godless vegetarians

A former member
Post #: 3
I don't have any statistics but the impression of some seems to be that there is an unusually high number of vegetarians among atheists. So I thought it might be appropriate to set up a message board here. Actually all I wanted to do here was ask other vegetarians what their favorite restaurant was, to see if I was missing anything. But this would be a good place for any comments or concerns vegetarian, if anyone's interested. To answer my own question, my favorite restaurant is Udupi, on 6339 Olde York Road, more or less across the street from Yorktown Lanes in Parma Heights. Unlike even most Indian restaurants they are totally vegetarian and mostly vegan, so I have the luxury of ordering just about anything off the menu, instead of just the one or two items I'm stuck with in most restaurants. Everything is good. They have a buffet daily from 11:30 AM. A lot of freshly-made varieties of bread. The wine list stinks; the beer list is OK and includes several Indian beers including Maharajah, a really tasty choice somewhere between a pilsner and a Belgian. Moderate prices.
Anyone have any recommendations or comments?
A former member
Post #: 191
Yes. That's a good one. For Indian closer to me, Morgan says Saffron Patch by Chagrin and Warrensville has a mean veggie buffet Monday nights. Taj Palace in Richmond Hts. across from the mall has a good buffet during the day (at least on weekends). Tommy's in Cleveland Hts. has plenty of vegan and vegetarian options. I recommend the book Cleveland Ethnic Eats which gets updated every once in a while. Ethnic is the way to go, but much of the Asian stuff has hidden fish sauce if that's an issue. Szechuan Garden in Lakewood is owned by the people who ran the late Peking Gourmet and has lots of "zen" cuisine, the dishes with various kinds of fake meats. But even if you aren't into that, they have many very creative vegetarian stuff (probably mostly vegan).

My favorite pizza place right now is Deweys (multiple locations).
Robyn
icebee
Hudson, OH
Post #: 61
Although I am not vegetarian - I do eat vegetarian meals and dishes when I can. And Morgan is correct. The Monday night buffet at Saffron Patch is vegetarian and *fantastic!!!*

If you are at all interested in Thai food without the fish sauce, MyThai in Chesterland makes all their food to order. Yes!! To your specifications - vegan, vegetarian, no mushrooms, whatever! And their food is so good. Everything I've had there is just so tasty. It's a real find.
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 626
Don't forget to vote in the veggie poll, folks!
A former member
Post #: 67
Cilantro on Main Street in Akron is a wonderful place, and they have the largest vegetarian menu I've ever seen in a full menu restaurant, a full page with dozens of entrees. I usually stick to chicken, don't mean to offend, and it was excellent there. I'm sure everything is.

And there is a Saffon Patch near the Weathervane Theater. Bon Appetite.
Kat B.
user 13627317
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
The Root Cafe on Detroit in Lakewood is all vegetarian - great atmosphere and great tea too. Also in the same area is the Souper Market that offers many vegan and vegetarians soups (and they are marked that way on the menu). If you are ever in Columbus, I would *highly* recommend Dragonfly Neo-V, a high-end vegan restaurant. It is amazing! Columbus also boasts a great vegan bakery, Pattycake Bakery.
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 633
This is sheer cruelty!
A former member
Post #: 69
FYI
A new Aladdin's has opened in Montrose in the same strip as the TJ Maxx.
A former member
Post #: 6
Love Aladdin's. You're right, G. Ethnic is the way to go. Italian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, etc. Is "American cuisine" an oxymoron? And if it isn't, what does it mean? Burgers and fries?
A former member
Post #: 21
I miss living in that part of Ohio!
Tons of vegetarian choices even in non veggie restaurants.
Here in Du Bois, Pa my favorite restaurant is a Mongolian stir fry buffet (which has tofu) called "Bamboo Garden" and the price is just right but the drinks are a little overpriced. It's just a couple minutes walking distance.