add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Rafiq M.
Bogor, ID
Post #: 629 the inkstand and the pen and that which they write
thou art not, by the grace of thy Lord, a madman...

The other day I bought a pen. I mean a real pen, a fountain pen, and a bottle of ink.

It was such a delight. I could write properly again. No more leaky cheap, throw away, ball points to destroy my shirts and use up the resources of our planet. A pen which (provided I don't lose it) can last a lifetime.

The only point of a ball point, it seems to me, is to write on multi-part pre-carbonated sets. When was the last time you had to do that? You can use a typewriter instead. And yes, I have one of those too. That is the delight of living in Indonesia, you can actually buy new typewriters, both manual and electric.

Now I am becoming a fountain pen bore. May I suggest a poll?

How many of you possess a fountain pen? Do you use it day-to-day or just for signing death warrants or other important documents? What colour ink do you use (black, blue, red, green)?
A former member
Post #: 4
I don't own a fountain pen, but I should, because I know several other enthusiasts, and I totally get it.
Rafiq, you said in your comments about the sloth that the only good thing about our species is music. I respectfully differ. One of our other charming qualities is the capacity, in fact the tendency, to turn the most mundane of objects and pursuits into aesthetic experiences, be it shoes, drinking a beer or cup of tea, writing-just about anything.
Rafiq M.
Bogor, ID
Post #: 631

Of course music is not the only thing. When I get depressed about the ravages of our species and heartily wish for a cataclysm to selectively annihilate Homo insipiens so that life can flourish again it is the thought of the symphony concert that brings me back up from the depths. And then I remember walking through the galleries of the British Museum book collection and seeing all the long dead thoughts of men and women preserved and then think of the art of someone like William-Adolphe Bouguereau I rise further from my depths. The dilemma remains: how can we take the sting out of our species? How can we keep the good and eliminate the harm? The worst part of our harmful impact is our toxic fecundity, promoted by the pandemic illusion of religion. We must fight that with everything we have - it must be a total war for the sake of life on this planet.

And yet it is music which first brings me up from total despair. At that point it seems the only good thing we have. It is not an objective statement. It is a cry of despair from the blackness.