Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 551
Freethinkers,

It is with wholehearted sadness that we announce the passing of our dear friend and fellow freethinker Jay D. Gardner.

Jay suffered a massive stroke over Labor Day weekend and passed away a few days later.

Jay was known for his good nature, fabulous humor, and his impeccable knowledge of history. He will be deeply missed by those who had the pleasure of knowing him.

A memorial service for Jay will be held in the coming weeks. We'll add details here as they come along.

Feel free to express your rememberances and condolences for Jay's family & friends here.

A former member
Post #: 145
How very sad. Jay was a great guy, very funny, and like a human encyclopedia. I was always struck by his working-knowledge on so many vastly different topics. Listening to him talk about absolutely anything, was a treat. Especially at the Roundtables. I didn't know him for as long as some probably have, less than a year, actually... but he'll certainly be missed. My sincere condolences, to his family members and close friends.
Sam S.
secuhumatheist
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 9
Condolences to the family. I've never known Jay. But any human being, especially a free thinker, is a brother of mine.
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 911
I agree wholeheartedly with Sam. Even though I have never met any of you, I have always been made to feel part of a great and wonderful family. The passing of any of us is a loss to us all. What remains are the thoughts left behind and those are always precious.
Joanna
GarbageDog
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 8
I've enjoyed reading Jay's contribution to discussions, and it was so nice meeting him at the picnic this past summer. As we all enjoy his memory and the contributions he has made to our lives - no matter how big or small - I do hope his family finds comfort in these things. My condolences as they journey through the grief of this new empty space in the universe to a place where that space is full of Jay's laughter and wisdom.
Ellen
user 9681087
Peninsula, OH
Post #: 148
My condolences to Jay's family, he will be deeply missed but fondly remembered.
Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 134
I feel very fortunate to have known Jay even though the actual time was brief. I will miss him at the CFT meetups as he was always a wonderful presence. My heart goes out to his family and closest friends.
A former member
Post #: 5
I always enjoyed Jay's input on any subject.
It amazes me to this day how a guy you never met,
could change you, enlighten you, and make you much the wiser.
He did that for me.
My deepest condolences to his family. He will be missed here.

A former member
Post #: 5
I only met Jay once, but always enjoyed his wit and knowledge.

I would have liked to have spent more time with him, and get to know him and learn from him.

Miguel
nofe87
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 6
He was very well informed, funny and a nice guy. I send out my warmest wishes to his family and I am glad that I got to know him.