The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board › Hypatia Scholarship

Hypatia Scholarship

Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 1,027

Human rights groups in Bangladesh have demanded a severe punishment for the husband of a young wife who allegedly cut off most of her right hand.

Police say Rafiqul Islam, 30, attacked her because she pursued higher education without his permission.

More on this story from BBC News...

There are many times when I feel ashamed to be a man. I have no words adequate to express the horror every sentient human being with an ounce of empathy must feel. I think we should start a Hypatia Scholarship to give this woman and others who care about their own brains the best education available. That is the best "punishment" for this act of astounding barbarity.

The man too, although you might not think so, is a victim. He is the victim of the pervasive culture of misogyny that deems that women are inferior beings who have to seek their husband's or male guardian's permission for everything they want to do – including getting a divorce. It cuts no ice whatsoever that wife-beating should leave no mark and this "treatment" is "un-Islamic". The idea behind Islamic "punishment" is to prevent the "criminal" from repeating their crime. That is why hands are cut off - to prevent thieves from stealing. In this case the man, quite logically, applied the same concept to the "crime" of this woman refusing to obey her husband and raise herself above her husband's level of education, thereby imperilling his god-given superior status.

Let's take this as a call to action.

• Let's be serious about a Hypatia Scholarship.
  • Join the Big Scream against misogyny started by Aliaa Magda Elmahdy in whatever way we can.
  • Maybe propose the award of a Hypatia medal and bursary for services to women's education.