Marni T.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 250
Last night at the CFI/CFT meetup: "Secularism: Where do we go from here?", it was brought up that we need to get out there and get our Humanism on, and do charitable works as a group. The main point that was mentioned was that we can't do just a "one off" charity project or schedule something once a year, it has to be an ongoing, all year round, repeated event, same place, same time or whatever.

Suggestions?
Marni T.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 253
Ok, I have a couple of suggestions:
1) Adopt a Highway program
2) Clothing/Food "meals on wheels" programs - people would need to be willing to drive to homes to deliver goodies.
Linas K M.
user 49328512
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
American Red Cross? Sponsor blood drives?
laura s.
smithbaby
North Ridgeville, OH
Post #: 27
Last night at the CFI/CFT meetup: "Secularism: Where do we go from here?", it was brought up that we need to get out there and get our Humanism on, and do charitable works as a group. The main point that was mentioned was that we can't do just a "one off" charity project or schedule something once a year, it has to be an ongoing, all year round, repeated event, same place, same time or whatever.

Suggestions?
My personal coice would be to do an item &/or fund raiser (BOTH) for an animal shleter. Including horses, I used to ride & can't any longer. Animals need SOOO much help :) Especially at this time.
Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 159
I would like those interested, to join me in visiting the elderly, some with severe Alzheimer's at Sunrise Assisted Living in Rocky River. (where my Mom has lived for 4 1/2 years. Or if anyone has another place suggestion, any elderly could use some companionship. I just happen to know my way around at Sunrise. These people are often ignored for many hours of their day, except for the staff that is hired to care for them.

By the way, the Catholics "take care of their own," (I was told by Sunrise) and groups of them come in to give communion or "do the rosary" with the Catholics on a regular basis. I am sure the others would like some visitors too.
Sam S.
secuhumatheist
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 34
Meals on wheels requires a commitment by any person willing to do it. Unfortunately my work wont allow that. Adopt a highway sounds good. It's something that not everyone has to attend all the time. But someone should head up. Laura someone mentioned at the meeting not to do something with animals. I can't remember why.

I like the food and clothing idea. Like a monthly food and clothes drive. Maybe we can do something like the purple heart and go from freethinkers house to freethinkers house and pick items up once a month. And take turns doing monthly runs. And then find a good place to donate to.
Ellen
user 9681087
Peninsula, OH
Post #: 170
Maybe we could start by doing something once a month, might give an idea of how many volunteers to expect on average. I like the adopt-a-highway idea. A few others:

- doing yard work and basic DIY for elderly/disabled people
- reading to seniors/vision impaired people
- helping students with homework
Suzy W.
user 10851179
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 160
We all seem to have certain areas we want to help with. For me, it is for the elderly in nursing facilities. I like animal rescue shelters,too. I would just like a buddy or two to do the "charity work" in these particular areas, with me.
:)

Marni T.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 256
All great ideas. We could also start with a holiday family sponsorship - giving warm clothes to a needy family who we want to "adopt", and then as a group going to their house to deliver the presents, like Secular Santas :)

Here's more info on how the Adopt-a-Highway program works:
"Volunteer groups adopt a two mile section or an interchange along a State Route, United States Route or Interstate. Groups who sign up with the program adopt for two years. We ask that they pick up a minimum of four times each year. Participants in Adopt-A-Highway should be volunteers and not paid to pick up litter. Groups can partner with others in adopting, but may not pay another group to pick up litter. The Department of Transportation will provide safety training, trash bags, disposable safety vests and two signs to be used at the beginning of the two mile section. The only cost to each group is their time."

http://www.dot.state....­

Our district is #12. Our representative is Ed Rahel: Edward.Rahel@dot.state.oh.us. We would need to coordinate on what 2-mile sections of highway we want to clean up, and who can volunteer. They need this information on the applications. We need to have a first choice, second choice, and third choice. All participants must attend a safety training and sign the waiver and release forms before working on the highway. A group needs to be available four times per year.

Marni T.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 257
Maybe we could start by doing something once a month, might give an idea of how many volunteers to expect on average. I like the adopt-a-highway idea. A few others:

- doing yard work and basic DIY for elderly/disabled people
- reading to seniors/vision impaired people
- helping students with homework

HandsOn Northeast Ohio, of which Ellen and I are members, is a great avenue for this. Ellen is the captain of the Cleveland Freethinkers team on the website, and we can volunteer as a group for opportunities and log our hours. This is a great way to get out into the community and get recognized as well! They have all kinds of volunteer opportunities, from homework help to running food pantries, to the foodbank, to dances and bingo. There is a new volunteer orientation happening on December 11th from 6pm to 7pm and there are 15 spots left. I would encourage people to sign up for this ASAP to get a seat - these fill up quickly! Then you can go onto the site and join the Cleveland Freethinkers team!