addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Ellen
user 9681087
Peninsula, OH
Post #: 171
There is a new volunteer orientation happening on December 11th..

Another option: the HandsOn folks are willing to do a private orientation for our group. A while back I checked with them about locations and the Panera in Rocky River was fine with them. We'd just need to coordinate a date that works for them.
Maude
MaudeL
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 16
I think I was the one saying we should focus on people, not animals, as important as that is to many of us. It's because the criticism of atheists is often that we have no morality, concern for fellow man. Best way to show we do is to pick something that is exactly like what all the fundamentalist charities do and that normally focuses on people, the poor, sick, etc.

For that reason too, I don't know about the highway thing. People could just say, "oh, they spend their time cleaning up the streets when prisoners and welfare recipients should be doing that-see the heathens care more about pretty streets than other people."

Just my PRish two cents.
Maude
MaudeL
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 17
And Suzy-I'm fairly certain you may have misunderstood when they said the Catholics take care of their own if you came away thinking we could do something for the others. What they meant was that when I priest cannot make it, a deacon of the church is sent to give communion to catholics. Only priests and deacons can do that. When they are there, they certainly would sit and pray with the person if asked to do so, and they would certainly chat a few minutes.

Catholic groups, as well as Girl Scouts and lots of other groups (the single volunteers of cleveland meetup in fact) do indeed volunteer at nursing homes for other things, just like we would do-help them eat at dinner time, take them outside in nice weather, read to them, throw a game night for those able to play, etc. When catholics do these volunteer activities, they do not exclude all the other residents. That's just silly. They don't come in and say, "hey, we want to help patients with their meals but we will only help catholics." I mean, seriously.

Priests and deacons who give communion and pray the rosary and other prayers with patients-well yeah, that's just for catholics. I bet there's a rabbi that comes around too.
Suzy W.
Suzylynn
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 161
Maude, no, I meant I was told that that the Catholics had someone coming to Sunrise to give them communion and pray the rosary with the Catholics (and anyone else who wanted to attend, I suppose) And when I asked if any other religions had anyone coming in, I was told no, but "the Catholics always take care of their own." I haven't seen any groups come in to do things with all the residents, only the Catholics providing religious activities. I think some children may come in around Xmas time. :)
Marni H.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 259
There is a new volunteer orientation happening on December 11th..

Another option: the HandsOn folks are willing to do a private orientation for our group. A while back I checked with them about locations and the Panera in Rocky River was fine with them. We'd just need to coordinate a date that works for them.

Ellen, I completely agree. I'll contact them!
Marni H.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 260
Ok, the only availability after the holidays is either January 11th or January 12th. They are trying to work around MLK Day and the Homeless Stand Down, so availability is super limited. They need everyone who wants to attend the orientation to first register on the website: http://www.handsonneo...­

Then we need to pick a couple of projects that several members can volunteer for right away.

Do you think this will be doable? I know commitment is a problem, so I'm a little fearful!
Ellen
user 9681087
Peninsula, OH
Post #: 172
I've already been through the orientation but I could come if needed. Either day works for me.
Sam S.
secuhumatheist
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 35
Okay, I'm signed for Volunteer orientation at Hands on. On Thursday Dec. 27th from 6:00PM to 7:00PM.
Marni H.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 261
Guests are more than welcome to come to the Orientation on January 12th!
A former member
Post #: 28
As I said last time, these past years the economy has been terrible & the ones who suffer the MOST are the animals. Maybe @ one meetup a month, we could have a collection of towels, blankets, food, money, carriers, & bowls, etc. Anything a rescue group could use to care for these poor creatures. Please think about it.love struck
Dick Goddard would be proud & I'd be happy to colect the items.