Marni T.
marniphocles
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Hey everyone -

I'm sure you've been waiting with bated breath for the "review" of EXPELLED the movie, and here it is, straight off the presses at RichardDawkins.net:

http://richarddawkins...­

Very interesting reading. I persoanlly agree with the second to last sentence that none of us should waste our money or line anyone's pockets associated with this movie. We can all get together and watch the DVD for a good laugh at a future meetup :)

Marni
Cloudberry
user 5964325
Hartville, OH
Post #: 5
I sent this link and a couple of others to my sister in North Carolina. She told me she had heard of Expelled and thought it was about fairness and equal play in the schools...the propaganda is working, folks. No matter how bizarre the Expelled message may seem to us, it does not seem bizarre to everyone. My email may have changed one mind, but that's all. And if I were to send the links to my evangelical brother and sister-in-law, it would be the start of a family feud too painful and too protracted to bear. I sent it to the one who was open-minded, and it seems to have opened the door by a crack. The evangelicals would have slammed that door shut and installed a deadbolt, but not before trying to extrude me through the keyhole with them. Cloudberry
A former member
Post #: 60
I was just in MN at the American Atheists conference last weekend (Working for RDF and the SSA) and they were playing it at the Mall of America. They ran out of tickets so I couldn't go.

However, later that night I met up with RDF, Richard, & PZ. PZ told us the hallrious story of getting 'Expelled from Expelled'. Richard and PZ did a quick video about it the next night.

Check it out. :)

http://richarddawkins...­
Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 14
Ashley, you met Dawkins & Myers in person? Cool!!!
Overall, how did the AA conference go? Was it well-attended?

To everyone- I found these snippets in an old Pharyngula post from '05. Myers told it like it still is.

"Here's what the debate is about.

Scientists have established the fact of evolution with thousands of lines of evidence and the work of hundreds of thousands of researchers. This idea is based on material evidence and repeated experiment, extensively documented in the scientific literature.

This evidence flatly contradicts literal religious accounts. Religious conservatives have mounted a long running social and political campaign to get their falsified dogma treated as the truth, despite the absence of any material or logical support for their position.

This debate is not about assessing the evidence, but about getting faith-based bullshit taught as science.

And that is what should be taught: teachers, we need to get in front of our students and expose them to both sides. We need to stand up and plainly state that creationism is a lie and any attempt to incorporate faith and the supernatural into science is as destructive to the enterprise as would be requiring religion to provide concrete, repeatable tests of their beliefs.

That's the only rational version of "equal time" that will work."

cool