The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board › Different Strokes...

Different Strokes...

Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 27
I found this article from the Washington Post while looking for something else.

In America, Nonbelievers Find Strength in Numbers

The article itself is interesting, but fairly obvious- the real fun is in the comments section.

onwaj6 wrote:
"Just as children must eventually let go of santa claus to mature, so must society let go of superstition and the supernatural as answers for its difficult questions. We cannot achieve great things as a people if we restrict our thinking to god-based explanations. It divides us as a people and it limits us as intelligent beings."

Wish I'd said that!!!

fra59e wrote:
"All discussion of gods is meaningless whether you are asserting or denying their existence. There is no label I will accept which is about faith in something, so don't call me a theist, an atheist, an agnostic, a believer or a nonbeliever. I do not define myself in terms of my attitude toward your gods any more than I define myself in terms of whether or not I think a monster named Nessie lives in Loch Ness. It's just not a real question until someone shows that a meaningful answer is possible. Let any putative god or monster become accessible to investigation by the methods of science and I will then be interested. Until then, don't try to label me as a Nessieist or an Anessieist. I am altogether outside the realm of speculation on things not accessible to scientific inquiry. I will not waste time discussing them nor will I concede that there's something to deny or to assert. So what am I? Well, I like the word freethinker. And I am a skeptic, too. As to the gods, angels and archangels, leprechauns, elves, Easter Bunnies, Santa Claus, cherubim and seraphim, etc., I am an indifferentist (yes, that's a real word -it has been in the OED for a hundred years.)"

What a wriggler! Reminds me of that Paul Simmons guy.

harness45 wrote:
"Personally, I find this story to be very sad. For anyone having read this article with any doubt as to the existence of God, let me start by saying that not only was our great nation formed by people who whole-heartedly believed in God, but the very fabric of every civilization on the planet is comprised of the reality of God... the God who's spoken word brought about creation and who's spoken word gives us light to this day. To the few who have replied before myself concerning this article, who, as one of you put it, that Christians are self-serving and greedy people, I can only say that it sorrows me that you haven't encountered true Christians that love with a Christ-like love because we are neither self-serving or greedy. I'll pray that those of you who haven't yet seen the truth will one day soon join a family who knows the truth and loves it. There's no lasting satisfaction in anything science can offer, while it may provide some convenience and limited knowledge, only the lasting love of Christ can satisfy. Truth is truth and it is eternal."

No Comment

ekim53 wrote:
"We see the great inventions and technological advancements and beautiful cities with it's complex architecture and artistic design all made unmistakably and undeniably by the creativity and intelligence of man. Yet, when we observe just part of the universe, our very own bodies with it's extremely complex and vast bio-electrical systems, we turn brain dead and say 'accident'."

Ok, forget all science- God did it!