The Cleveland Game Developers Message Board Jobs, Professional & Project Opportunities › Way to turn old games into old online games

Way to turn old games into old online games

Brian C.
user 39330372
Seville, OH
Post #: 1
I came up with a theory on how to turn literally almost every 2-or-more player game into a 2-or-more player, online game.

There's 2 faults which I avoid. The first is programming individual games to work wit the network, because that's the current state of the art. So games like M.A.D. for the 2600 will not be converted under current methods. But if my theory works, I can covert everything from Combat or the 2600 to M.A.D. for the 2600 without doing any extra work.

The other fault is that there is another product, which forces you to alter your game and be less reactive, because it forces you to think a few steps ahead. If I wanted to think a few steps ahead, I'd play chess. For reflex games, you want to react to the nearest 60th of a second.

If my theory works, then you can play an online game just like you would a local game. The secret key is to get your information in under a 16 ms ping time for 60 FPS games. And I know a connection which can do that, if they are as advertised.

I am looking for either or both of the following: Funders, and electronic engineers. I got a company who said they can build 2 prototypes for anywhere from $5K to $16K. If you believe that's a good price to research it, call or email me and I'll put you in touch with them. All they ask beyond that is 10% of the inventor's revenue.

If you think you can build 2 devices or less than that, let me know, and a different investor who thinks 16K is too much might fund your building of it.

With investors, I'll give them a share of the inventor's share of income. For producers, you can either do it for a share, or a fixed price, or a combination, and I'l see if a funder is willing to do it.

Finally, I got Atari and Sega saying if I can make it work with their original cartridges as well as downloads in download shops, they help this invention along by licensing and marketing it.

Email me: tripletopperATearthlinkDOTnet If you can't figure this out, you might be a computer.
Jessy C.
mr.jessy
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 35
What would Sega need from you? I seem to be able to play their old games online just fine already – for example, I got six free Genesis games from them this week via PlayStation Plus, with an option for online multiplayer where local multiplayer existed originally. Are customers complaining about lag on what's already offered?
Eagan R.
user 13440265
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
Nesticle had a network multi-player option for old Nintendo games ages ago by mapping and syncing controller inputs over a network. How is what you're thinking different than that?
Brian C.
user 39330372
Seville, OH
Post #: 2
My major difference, for the Genesis on PLaystation: It only works with titles specifically programmed for the PSN. If it's not not made for the PSN, it won't work online. This will work with all original Genesis cartridges in felt swoop, and you don't have to buy them again for a modern system. Also you don't have to program individual games to work with the network, so if you want to play a 2-player game of Herzog Zwei or Earth Defence (sic), my solution would work because it works at the system level. All we need is Sega's permission to turn all games online without looking into individual ROM code. If you want EVERY Genesis game to go online, you'd have to get rights from EVERY third party,plus the third party would have to justify programming each individual work into online mode.

Most networks have 80-150 ms ping time over longer distances than just a neighborhood. Which means the best network is always 5 frames behind alive stream. (80 ms 16 ms/frame = 5 frrames) Thismeans network versions must be programmed to compensate or high ping, usually by using predictive algorithms and higher bandwidths.

My version beats a natural 16 ms ping time found in most games. The reason why Microsoft didn't networkized 2600 games (and I mean in a manner where my pixels affect your pixels, not a back-to-back compare scores method) is because the games relied heavily on reflexes, and you just can't predict highly reflexive things well enough unless you have an under 16 ms ping network, which is fast enough to read a joystick live. Then you don't need predictions.

This method, if it works for one game for one system, will make it work for EVERY game, without having to program a networkized version of the game. (Really, do you think US Games will risk its money to produce MAD in a special network mode when you have to invest in programmers, or do you think they'll glom on to a technology that works for every 2600 game. It's a lot cheaper to do b than a. And if you're wondering what is MAD... my point exactly. It would cost noting for US Games to allow the game online,and they get commercial revenue for allowing their game to work with our system.)

I don't know about the NES emulator, does it work for every game, and if so can you play without adjusting for the net. If the answer to both is yes, then you don't need my invention. But if either only specific games work for the NES, or you have to think a few frames ahead (if every game doesn't require precise 60 FPS reactions to play naturally) you need my project.

The secret is using a connection that exists for other purposes and modifying it to work with data, so every game can be networkized without both a need to program a special networkized version and a need to think a few frames ahead.) You could get rid of one by using the other, but to get rid of both, you need a low ping connection.

This technology will let you play longer distances without the ping factor interfering, and already has a conditional endorsement by Atari and Sega (The condition is, if I can show a networkized version of an existing cartridge version of their game without reprogramming a ROM and have it feel like a local game, they'll endorse it) So this is as much a business venture as a technological experiment.

If this works, there'll be a white market classic games online network. You can play with either an original cartridge or a legitimate download from the company. So the business model rely too much modern sales of classic ROMs, there will be ads when you play, and the Netrogames company (which you'll invest in and reap rewards in with either money or work in if you believe in this model), the system maker, the game maker, and the network this runs off of will all get paid.

As I said this is about a business as well as a technology. email me tripletoperATearthlinkDOTnet for more info.