Dillon S.
Popsikels
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
Hey everyone. I am completely new to the game developing scene. Im currently a freshman in college and plan on getting a BA in computer science or computer engineering. It is my dream to become a game developer. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Thanks
Matt P.
MattPerrin
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 91
The two best pieces of advice I can offer is to simply go make games and to work on small ideas first.
Keep your focus razor small at first. Work on the essential pieces that make up a game before you try to make an actual game. Getting a character to appear on the screen is a huge success. Getting that character to move, another huge success. All of those small goals will come together to help you build something bigger & better. Use free tools like Unity, GameMaker or Construct2 to speed up your work. Don't worry about art or sound. That can come later.

As part of your major, you'll learn about the concept of a "Hello World" program. As a first project, maybe look into making a game like Pong which can teach you all of the essential concepts. If your major includes the use of C# or Java (which has a lot of similarities to C#) then learning Unity which supports C# is a good option too. Unity might seem intimidating but a lot of our members use it and we are going to be holding more workshops on it in the future.

Also, take advantage of our group and come out to some of our upcoming meetings. Talk with others or maybe take part in one of our workshops. Some of our members are participating in the GMX meetup next month which might interest you too. And we also have a Facebook group that you can join which is pretty active as well. https://www.facebook....­
Dillon S.
Popsikels
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 2
Thank you very much I appreciate the advice! I have recently downloaded and done a few tutorials on GameMaker, but I have no idea how I would go about creating an actual game
Matt P.
MattPerrin
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 92
I saw you joined our Facebook group. You might want to send a message to Chris Sanyk as well. He's our resident GameMaker guru. And making a game is just starting somewhere small and moving up to bigger ideas. Pong, a Pac-Man clone then a Mario clone. Start simple and build up to more complexity.