addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Cleveland Board Gamers Message Board › Shaker/Beachwood Meetup

Shaker/Beachwood Meetup

Christian G.
user 13838668
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
Not sure how many people read these forums regularly, but figured I'd give it a shot, and see who's here...

I was just wondering if there'd be any interest in starting another event on the Cleveland East Side, Beachwood/Shaker Heights area. There are at least two likely locations that should accommodate--Beachwood Library and/or Bertram Woods Library.

I'd be happy to organize, if there's interest. If there is, maybe we could set up a recurring weekend day (something that doesn't conflict with any other already established nearby meetup, of course...)

This would be great for me personally, since most of the other meetups are at least a 30-minute drive (which I'm finding it hard to justify nowadays, with a new son in the house).

So what's the word? Is any one game?

If so, I guess that leads to a follow up question for Michael: what does one (i.e., I) need to do in order to organize a Meetup event?

Christian
Michael
Michael26
Group Organizer
Euclid, OH
Post #: 127

I'm game!

If you would like to organize a Meet Up event, please email the details of your meet up to me.

Mike
notdave
user 3317897
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 16
I live in Shaker so that's right in my neighborhood.
Laszlo
user 33580772
Budapest, HU
Post #: 1
Well I am in, I would prefer Bertram Woods Library and Sunday. laughinglaughinglaughing
Michael
Michael26
Group Organizer
Euclid, OH
Post #: 128
Three or four gamers is a good start.
Michael
Michael26
Group Organizer
Euclid, OH
Post #: 129
I would prefer Sunday too. My Saturday's are booked.
Christian G.
user 13838668
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 2
Sadly, it looks like Shaker Library Meeting rooms require a (hefty--$30-$60!) fee (...unless we are a non-profit), and are not available on Sunday.

Beachwood CCPL branch appears to be free, but to reserve, we need at least 5 people to show up (otherwise, someone else could claim the space that day). Their Meeting Room B seats 25 and is available on Sundays from 1pm to 5pm. So, maybe we can try for a regular Sunday meeting there--perhaps starting on the 1st of July?

On a side note: Beachwood is also available this Saturday, June 30th, from 9am to 5pm, which I notice is an empty spot on the meetup schedule--would anyone be interested in gaming for the day on the 30th?
Matt P.
MattPerrin
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 83
You might want to head into the library personally and talk to someone. I'm one of the organizers for the Cleveland Game Devs meetup group and we've never had to pay to use any Cuyahoga Library meeting rooms. There was one Library on Richmond road that was quite nice for gaming activities and we ran a bunch of workshops out of it.

When they say "non-profit" they don't mean a registered non-profit corporation. They just want to make sure that the event is free, open to the public and does not discriminate for any reason. Going in personally and meeting the librarian staff to explain what you want to do goes a long way. They may also ask if they can include your meeting as one of their events. It's kind of a trick question. You kind of have to say Yes if you want the room.

There is a library on Lee Road near Cleveland Heights (is that the Shaker library? I can't remember...) that charges for their rooms because they are not part of the CCPL system.
Michael
Michael26
Group Organizer
Euclid, OH
Post #: 130
I cannot make it on Saturday, June 30th.
Christian G.
user 13838668
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 3
Hi Matt--

Thanks for the comments! I was hoping to make it out to the Launchhouse for your gaming event on the 29th as well, if my familial responsibilities allow. I may see you there!

I am going to talk to a real live human to confirm all this, but it certainly appears that all Cuyahoga Country Public Libraries offer their meeting rooms for free, at least according to the website. There are some other stipulations (such as the 5 person minimum), but it seems to be the most accommodating option so far.

Unfortunately, the Shaker Heights Bertram Woods Library is a branch of the Shaker Heights Library system and is not part of the Cuyahoga County Public Library system. On the website , they're pretty clear about meeting room fees (for "social gatherings and "non-profit organizations" alike)--but you're right, you never know what a sympathetic librarian can do for you until you ask.

I'll have to look into the other libraries and their policies--I believe the Lee Road one you mentioned is part of the CH/UH system, and the one on Richmond may be CCPL. They're worth a look...

I'm curious also about the Launchhouse--did that cost anything to reserve? do they have a good gaming space? That might be a good possibility too, if they've got daytime weekend availability...

Anyway, as I get more information, I'll post it here. I'm glad to see a positive response so far.

Mike: I will email you to see if there are any other Meetup specifics that need to be addressed.