The Cleveland Board Gamers Message Board › Shaker/Beachwood Meetup

Shaker/Beachwood Meetup

Michael
Michael26
Group Organizer
Euclid, OH
Post #: 131
Another idea is to look into coffee shops and a cafe or two. All they need is one good sized table or two.
Grant
user 10899561
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Post #: 10
Christian, I host the Medina Library Meetup, and my wife and a few of our friends are librarians. I can tell you that stressing the type of people your event will attract (middle-aged males) will go a long way towards getting a library to make acceptations or even organize a library event around your Meetup. This is a demographic that libraries really struggle to draw and are often looking for anything to help in that department.

The Medina Library Meetup started out as an official library event (meaning it was promoted by the library, advertised in their newsletter, and counted towards their monthly numbers), and now they just let us continue to run it. The Nordonia Library Meetup has always been and continues to be an official library event which is run by Pat Manning, who is a librarian there and himself an avid gamer. Other library Meetups like Euclid and Lakewood are just social gatherings not officially affiliated with the libraries. All this to say that our Meetups run the gamut and there are multiple ways to go about organizing a new one.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any other questions!
Scott Z.
Chilon
Wickliffe, OH
Post #: 58
Another idea is to look into coffee shops and a cafe or two. All they need is one good sized table or two.

Jaimee from Eastside Games with Friends is trying to organize a Sunday meetup at the Barking Spider in Cleveland Heights (outdoor-weather permitting). It might be worth communicating with her, as these two groups pull a lot of the same people. But yes, I'm another vote for some sort of Sunday gaming in this general area.

Scott
Christian G.
user 13838668
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 4
Update:

I spoke with a librarian at Beachwood library, who was very receptive (apparently, he used to play Diplomacy back in the day). The room is a nice size (should seat up to 25 people and at least 6 tables), and away from the main body of the library. It's free, and there's no particular penalty if we don't show up. The only ownside is that the space is available from 1-5pm on Sundays.

But I think it will be a good place to start--if there's interest, we can investigate some other possibilities that offer more time. So, I'll post a meetup date for Sunday, July 8th as the first session--look for it in the next day or so.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Hope you can make it on the 8th!
Michael
Michael26
Group Organizer
Euclid, OH
Post #: 132
I should be able to make it on July 8th.
Bill T.
user 9106955
Chagrin Falls, OH
Post #: 2
Update:

I spoke with a librarian at Beachwood library, who was very receptive (apparently, he used to play Diplomacy back in the day). The room is a nice size (should seat up to 25 people and at least 6 tables), and away from the main body of the library. It's free, and there's no particular penalty if we don't show up. The only ownside is that the space is available from 1-5pm on Sundays.

But I think it will be a good place to start--if there's interest, we can investigate some other possibilities that offer more time. So, I'll post a meetup date for Sunday, July 8th as the first session--look for it in the next day or so.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Hope you can make it on the 8th!

Hey Christian.....if you want to start earlier on Sundays, I believe that the Maple Hts Regional library near Lee rd and Libby is open earlier.....and is FREE as well.....
Christian G.
user 13838668
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 5
Hey Bill! Definitely would love to find a space with more time, but (at least according to the website), it looks like Maple Heights CCPL branch hours are 1pm to 5pm as well. That should still be enough time to get one or two light to medium weight games in. Hope you and Elissa can stop by (maybe a TTR rematch?)!
Christian G.
user 13838668
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 6
Hey Everyone!

Thanks to all who attended last Sunday--we had a great turnout for a first event, and a lot of interest in having a Sunday game event. Even though we all would have loved to spend the entire day playing games, we were able to fit in 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride Europe, Poison, Alien Frontiers, and even some Carcasonne, if I'm not mistaken!

So, I'd like to schedule something for August at the same location. Currently, all Sundays are open. The 12th or 19th seem to be the least hectic (when considering other gaming events going on in Cleveland Gamers and other groups).

Any preferences between the 12th or 19th?
Christian G.
user 13838668
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 7
Hey all--

So the Sunday meetup at Beachwood library has stalled temporarily--unfortunately, the librarians have booked up all of the rooms for library events until December 30th, and there's nothing I can do about it at the moment. I did speak with one of the programming librarians there who was very helpful, and we may be able to get a permanent program there sometime next year.

In the meantime--I'm investigating other nearby venues. Shaker/Cleveland Heights libraries all seem to want to charge some money for room rental, and I'm looking into the Orange/Mayfield heights CCPL branches. The best candidate that I can think of so far is the Panera on Richmond Road (just south of Harvard--accessible from 271).

Also, it looks like the other Sunday meetups (in Solon and Lakewood) have come back from their summer hiatus. However, it seems to me that, location-wise, Beachwood/Shaker area could still use representation. So I'll try to post a meetup on a Sunday that doesn't directly conflict if possible--but there might be some unavoidable overlap.

Stay tuned--meanwhile, any thoughts would be appreciated!
Michael
Michael26
Group Organizer
Euclid, OH
Post #: 137
Good luck!