The Pune Clojure Users Group Message Board › How to build FP expertise

How to build FP expertise

A former member
Post #: 2
Hello Everyone,

I am beginning to setup a functional programming practice in my organization. What would be a best way to move forward? Training programs to get started, certifications, online groups, hiring, how to find right consultants, etc.

Regards,
Niraj
Ravindra J.
jaju
Pune, IN
Post #: 3
To be able to answer that better, can you specify some more details on the goals of setting this up? Are you the sole/primary driver, or are there more people interested in your organization? If yes, how many? With what kind of exposure/experience?

If it's very much in an early stage and you are still figuring out the what-s and why-s, it's good to start with online groups and slowly figure out.

Best,
jaju
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks Ravindra.

We build products for our customers & have expertise in Java, PHP, .NET & Node.js.
Lately we are fielding customer inquires for developing products using Erlang, Scala, Haskell.
I don' think, these skills are as readily available (for hiring, consulting or training our own staff).
Would you say, finding & hiring a champion is a good place to start? (Anyone interested? ;-))
Ravindra J.
jaju
Pune, IN
Post #: 4
Hi Niraj.

I'd say - "It depends." :)
A champion is good if s/he can influence people. An sudden new entry into an organization hoping to champion techniques which aren't easy to adopt overnight, and people still struggling to meet their deadlines or business goals, will only make the champion appear to be another of those people who come and talk. And talk, and talk. :)
You need someone who can not only be a champion, but also be embedded in a team to show the how-s and why-s, and then get the team excited. But then, it isn't easy to scale with this model!

I'm not saying it's not possible - I'm only trying to spell out the potential problems. When you do look for someone in this role, do get his or her thoughts on how they will tackle such practical problems.