Clojure PDX Message Board › New meeting

New meeting

Paul d.
user 23931962
Auburn, NH
Post #: 1
The group seems sizeable (52), but there hasn't been a meeting for some time.
I just moved from NYC to here, and would love to see this meeting get together. I'd be more than happy to give a talk, guide a swarm coding session, and show a demo of some Clojure tech.

Paul
Steven S.
user 25875792
Portland, OR
Welcome to pdx! Thanks for starting the discussion around another meeting. Apparently we all needed a little push. How about a tentative date of October 17th? What kind of tech would you like to discuss/demo?

Steven
Paul d.
user 23931962
Auburn, NH
Post #: 2
Thanks - I'm very happy to be in pdx.

October 17th sounds excellent to me. What's the biggest interest in the group? If there are more beginners, I'm more than happy to guide a tutorial or help people wrap their brains around functional programming with Clojure.

Otherwise I'd definitely be up for sharing my experiences building and shipping Clojure and ClojureScript applications.

We could even give swarm-coding a try, if that's of any interest (We never did that at Clojure-NYC, but we did have hack nights).

Paul
Skip
user 40546022
Portland, OR
I'm new to clojure but I'm reading a few books. An introduction to how to start using clojure to build a real app and not just playing in the REPL. Thanks for getting this going again !
Paul d.
user 23931962
Auburn, NH
Post #: 3
Let's do a combo meetup - a quick overview of some key Clojure features, how Clojure (and ClojureScript) get applied in production, some general success stories/anecdotes and then some general Clojure hacking.

I'll step up as organizer is need-be.

I'll take a look at Calagator and see what day of the week might work best for everyone.
Paul d.
user 23931962
Auburn, NH
Post #: 4
Nevermind, Thanks for stepping up Simple!

Steven or Dan, if you could get the event posted to Calagator (whatever day works best to host the meeting at Simple HQ).

Also, given new organizers we can remain Clojerks or something more SEO/Search friendly (ala "Clojure-PDX").
Thoughts?

Paul
Steven S.
user 25875792
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
The R meetup which is also hosted at Simple was moved to the 17th. Let's plan on next Wednesday Oct. 24th at 7:00pm PST. I'll post the event on Calagator shortly. I really like the idea of you sharing your experiences shipping clojure/clojurescript applications. Also, if time permits, it would be nice to give new members a brief overview of how to set up a clojure dev environment.
Paul d.
user 23931962
Auburn, NH
Post #: 5
Can we also get the event added here so it shows up on the main page?

Thanks Steven.

Also - I'm more than happy to pitch in and help manage the group if you want to split some of the work up. Just give me a holler.

- Paul