Code Crew - Let's Learn to Code Together! Message Board › Ahoy, Swabbies!

Ahoy, Swabbies!

Jamal
user 48157942
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hey Everyone,

Thank you all for signing up for Code Crew! I’m really excited about getting things rolling with the group and am looking forward to meeting and learning with all of you. We have a very diverse group of members, which includes school teachers, entrepreneurs, artists, designers, seasoned software developers and even a professional ice hockey coach. I have been getting questions from you guys about the group and decided to send this note to address them.

First, to provide some background on myself, I have been coding for a little over two months now and have been teaching myself Ruby, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS and JavaScript. My interest lies in building web applications and I kind of hit a roadblock when trying to learn Rails and recently completed an 8-week course on Ruby on Rails. Though I learned a lot from this course and managed to build an app or two I still have a long way to go as far as learning the Rails framework inside out. Besides Rails I'm really trying to dig deeper into JavaScript and maybe some CoffeeScript. To achieve these goals it will require self-study and I decided to start Code Crew so I could meet and learn with other people that are also teaching themselves how to code.

Our group is aimed at those who have little to no programming experience and I would describe it as being a study group. The idea is that we, as newbie coders/programmers/developers, commit to get together at least once a week to work on lessons from Codecademy/Codeschool/Treehouse etc. or work on projects together while helping each other out along the way. A few group members are more advanced and have expressed interest in showing up to lend their expertise, so that's definitely a plus. Everyone's individual goal will be different based on their level of experience; however, the overall goal of the group is to learn how to code and to get better at coding.

I'm working on finding a location for our meetups and am looking at Sunday, February 10th, from 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM for the first one and have them repeat every Sunday at this time going forward. If weekly meetings are too frequent we can try to have them every other week instead. I'm also thinking that we can reserve the last Sunday of the month to have a demo day where we briefly share what we have learned and/or have been working on for the previous weeks. As far as location I'm thinking about meeting at a coffee shop in Manhattan, but we may have a coworking space in the works.

I hope I have answered all of your questions and if not feel free to email me directly at jamal.ogarro[at]gmail.com. Also, feel free to email me if you would like to help organize the group. If anyone has any suggestions on a meeting location, meeting format, etc. feel free to send them to the group at codecrewny-list[at]meetup.com or post them on the group page.

Have a great weekend and I look forward to meeting all of you soon!

Cheers,

Jamal