codeHarbour February Meetup

Hello hello!

So this is the first codeHarbour of 2014 and we are happy to announce that one of our members (or should that be shipmates?!?) Chris Surridge is stepping up to do a 'developer orientated' talk on SEO.

Chris wants to be clear that he isn't a developer himself but spends a lot of time working alongside developers to deliver SEO strategies.  His talk will touch on the following areas with good practical advice on how to improve SEO in each instance:

1- trailing slash
2 - capitalisation within URLs
3 - canonical URLs
4 - open graph additions
5 - Rich snippets
6 - daily sitemaps
7 - best Robot.txts
8 - relative URLs in code
9 - java/ajax/flash issues
10 - cached CSS files
11 - tags affecting load speed
12 - google tag manager
13- URL structure and heirarchy
14 - Hard Coding of Header tags
15 - usage/removal of frames

I will be eagerly listening with notebook in hand!

We will also hope to have the usual drinks and pizza and a trip to the pub afterwards...

Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Wes and Keith

Join or login to comment.

  • Chris S.

    Hi all - excuse the delay, but I've now uploaded the slides for everyone. http://www.slideshare.net/WhitefishMarketing/bridging-the-gap-between-digital-marketers-and-web-developers Any questions, drop me a line:
    [masked]

    thanks guys - see you at the next one!

    2 · February 12

  • Jamie A.

    Hi Guys,
    It was great meeting you all last week, looking forward to the next one!

    Just a quick question, are the slides up anywhere yet? Would be great to see them again so I can relay back to the team :)

    Cheers

    February 12

    • Chris S.

      Hi Jamie - I'm pleased you liked the event. That is my fault, I haven't had 2 minutes to myself to put them up, but I hope to have them up with a link, sometime today. i shall let everyone know when I do. Sorry for the delay.

      1 · February 12

  • Luke Q.

    Great to meet you all, thanks for having us along! Great talk Chris.

    February 7

  • Rob J.

    It was great to meet everyone. I enjoyed the informal chats and Chris' talk. I'd like to echo the thanks for the excellent refreshments, location and organisation. Looking forward to next months.

    February 7

  • Geoff K.

    Cheers Wesley for organising, and Chris for the talk - will be replacing h-cards with schema when I get the chance! See you all next month.
    Geoff

    February 7

  • Wesley B.

    Thanks to everyone who braved the weather to come along last night. It was a great meetup, nice to see some new people and a quality talk from Chris.

    Big thanks to James at The Workshop for hosting us and providing beers and to our fantastic sponsors Campaign monitor who enable us to get in the Pizzas.

    Pencil in the first Thursday of March for the next meetup, details to follow.

    Cheers
    Wes

    February 7

  • Chris S.

    I enjoyed presenting, and sharing new ideas with the group. Thanks Wes for coming up with some questions beforehand. It pushed me to do a bit more research into an unfamiliar topic, and I learnt something new myself... I hope others were fortunate to learn at least one new thing too. Thanks all. Chris

    2 · February 7

  • Simon W.

    Just to update you Wez. Projector all sorted for this evening.

    February 6

  • Andy A.

    Great to meet everyone, very nice pizza :) great talk and excellent off topic and around topic conversations . Definitely be going to the next One. :)

    1 · February 6

  • Simon W.

    A couple of people asked me for the slides from my API talk. The slides are here:
    https://speakerdeck.com/hpoom/how-to-build-a-unified-api

    Nice to meet you all. Can't wait till next month :)

    February 6

    • Andy A.

      Thanks for the links :). And really enjoyed meeting everyone too great meetup and local too :)

      1 · February 6

  • Wesley B.

    The Workshop are going to keep the main front doors open for us tonight so you can get into the building from Tontine street. It'll be a bit easier to find your way in the dark whilst battling the wind and rain!

    1 · February 6

    • Andy A.

      Cool lol.

      February 6

    • Andy A.

      Hi I am at the front door how do I get in :)

      February 6

  • Wesley B.

    Hi guys

    I'm looking forward to our meetup tonight, seems like it's been ages since the last proper one.

    Campaign Monitor have been kind enough to sponsor us again so pizza and drinks are a-go-go! Usually format, a bit of food and chat at 7 with Chris' talk kicking off around 7:30 followed by a bit of discussion and questions. All wrapping up by 9 and off to a pub if anyone fancies it (looking at you Pete!).

    See you at The Workshop later!

    Wes

    February 6

    • Geoff K.

      will the back also be open? (quicker for me to sprint to!)

      February 6

    • Wesley B.

      Yep I believe so.

      February 6

  • Chris S.

    Hi all. Any last minute questions you want to put forward before the meet up? Let me know and I'll do my best to incorporate it in the presentation. Thanks all, see you there.

    February 5

    • Chris S.

      However... to end on this last note. Think of the real world application - when will you have a page, with multiple subsections, all of which are technically their own entity and hold no relevance to the overall page theme and thus DESERVE separate H1 status. I am potentially thinking of blogs and possibly "portfolio" pages (off the top of my head). But in the case of blogs or news publishers, the listings page will usually be categorised. I haven't yet had a need for the real world application of this, as I haven't yet worked on an HTML5 site. Will be interesting when I do! (Thanks Wes)

      February 6

    • Wesley B.

      Thanks for the comprehensive answer! I agree Schema is the way forward although it introduces more work at the mark-up stage which can be an issue if the budget is tight. I often use more than one h1 tag in different section of the page. Like you say blog listings is a good example. We shall talk more tonight!

      February 6

  • Cathy W.

    Really sorry I won't be able to make this meeting - I'm giving a talk in exotic Ipswich (http://www.pacitticompany.com/event/theatre-in-the-cloud/). I'd like to throw an idea out to you all though - I've come across this http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2 and seen a few "performances" they've presented for their birthday celebrations. I'd like to encourage my Theatre in the Cloud group to use it but I think they might be daunted on the technicalities. If any of them were interested, would any of you be interested in partnering with them and holding their hands? As a partnership you would be able to apply for a small bursaries. It won't be a lot of money but might be interesting...

    January 17, 2014

    • Geoff K.

      Hi Cathy, I may be able to help out post February - let me know how and when!

      January 31, 2014

    • Cathy W.

      thanks Geoff - will do

      February 2

  • Aaron T.

    Looking forward to it :)

    December 20, 2013

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Henry

I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.

Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders

Start your Meetup today

Act now and get 50% off.
Until February 1.

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy